50. Because of Me

Mac and I are standing side by side, watching our girls laugh as they clutch diplomas in their hands

Mac and I are standing side by side, watching our girls laugh as they clutch diplomas in their hands. Leah and Annie graduated today.

We're still at school, but as soon as the ceremony is over, we will celebrate at The Temple. Leah surely deserves some fun after weeks of studying for the finals, while she desperately tried not to let her family drama affect her grades.

"Do you miss it?" asks Mac.

"School?"

"Yeah. It looks like ages have passed, and it's been only a year."

"Honestly, no, I don't. What's to miss? All the drama and bullshit and not fitting in? I'm way better now."

Mac nods. "Same, I guess. Did I tell you Annie agreed to go to college?"

I stare at the guy. "For real?"

"Not immediately. She still doesn't know what she wants to study, but as soon as she figures it out, she will apply for grants and enroll."

"That's amazing. Didn't take you that long to convince her."

"Thank Leah." Mac chuckles. "She was the one to talk to Annie about the fun  they would have if they moved to the city together."

The corners of my mouth lift as I observe Kitten. She seems to be happy, although I know how hard the previous weeks had been.

Leah and her mother hardly talk, and Kitten refused to meet Eric, claiming she needed time to get to grips with the reality of having a father her mother didn't tell her about.

Grace's lies affected Leah way more than she shows. Kitten studied with more determination than ever as if she wanted to prove something to her mother, or maybe even herself. My heart hurts when I remember her tears at the cabin. She looked little and broken, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do other than give her comfort and support.

A minute is enough to make a mistake, but it might take years to fix it.

"Have you thought about college now that Leah has been accepted?" Mackenzie asks me. 

"You know I'm not doing it, Mac," I say.

Sighing, Mac turns his head to look at me. "I know you don't wanna hear it, but I will say it anyway. You're not me, Bri. You don't struggle with the simple school level shit. I'm great at my job, and I'm street smart, but I'm not you. You're wasting your potential. That brain of yours could be used for lots of cool things. Now that your girl is taking a step toward a better future, don't settle. Take your time, but think about your options."

"Mac, thanks, but you already know what I think."

Mac shrugs. "That was before. Opinions change. People change. Maybe you need a change, too."

"Here you are," says Kitten as she hugs me and kisses my cheek. "We are ready to go. You?"

"Same," I tell her. "Congratulations, babe. School is officially over."