35. Secrets

I'm done with my classes earlier than usual

I'm done with my classes earlier than usual. The teacher is sick, and they canceled our last period. Annie suggests we go shopping, but I tell her I have plans with Brian.

I don't have plans per se, but I'm going to see him at the garage. I didn't get a chance to thank him for the little stars, and he didn't answer my texts, which is quite unlike him.

The unease that grips my insides as I walk home morphs into worry when I'm next to the repair shop. Brian's dad is inside, but not his son.

"Good afternoon," I say, stepping over the threshold.

Brian's dad smiles. "Leah, what a surprise. Are you looking for Brian?"

I nod, hoping I don't look like a desperate, clingy girlfriend.

Mr. O'Brien rests the tool he'd been using on the floor and says, "Well, Brian wasn't feeling well, so I made him lie in his room. You've been there, right? Take the key; he'll be happy to see you."

I accept the small metal object from Brian's dad's hand. "Thank you."

"Not at all. Go cheer him up."

I leave the garage and stroll to Brian's house. Silence greets me, and I wonder if Brian's sleeping.

Once I'm upstairs, I open his bedroom door and peek inside. Brian is sprawled on the bed, shirtless. A pair of shorts ride low on his hips, and the sight makes my cheeks flush — I haven't stopped thinking about Brian and the way he touched me. I'm dying to feel it again, but I don't know if I can ask him. Would he find it weird if I did? Should I wait until we're alone again and he makes a move?

"Kitten."

Brian's eyes are open; they probably have been for a while. He's looking at me with a devilish smile on his lips. "I know I look good, babe, but you can say hello."

"Hi," I squeak.

"Hey, princess. Lock the door and come here."

I obey and approach the bed. Brian pulls me to him, and I make myself comfortable by his side. "Are you sick?" I ask. "Your dad said you weren't feeling well."

Brian groans. "Mac and Pops are acting like two nannies, I swear. It's nothing, babe, just a nasty headache. I took a pill, and it should pass soon."

"Does this happen often?"

Brian chuckles and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "Look at how she worries about me. Not too often, but I guess not sleeping and smoking half a pack last night didn't help my case."

"Why couldn't you sleep?"

Brian grins at me. "Cause I was dreaming about ripping the panties off your cute little ass and kissing you there until you scream my name. Kissing your girl, I mean. Your cute little ass, too, if you'd let me."

"Why did I have to ask?" I mumble, covering my burning face with my palms.

Brian laughs and hugs me. "Come here, Kitten. Let me be a good boyfriend and kiss you hello."