30. Sick Games

"Don't do anything stupid," Mac says and grips my arm

"Don't do anything stupid," Mac says and grips my arm. The fucker knows me like nobody. My eyes are trained on Ferdinand, and I'd gladly run that piece of shit over with my Fat Boy.

What's his fucking deal? Of all chicks, why Bella?

"Let me go." I grit my teeth, and Mac releases me. Dakota says nothing; I have yet to tell her about Fer.

"What the fuck?" I say, standing next to the log the two lovebirds are perched on.

"Brian." Bella smiles, tucking a strand of her dark hair behind her ear.

"What's he doing here?" I ask, boring my eyes into Ferdinand's smug face. What's he up to? He can't be into Bella. They're from different worlds, which only means one thing—there's a purpose behind this bullshit.

"I can invite whoever I want, same as you," Bella says and points to Dakota.

"Not him. He's not welcome here."

Fer smirks. "Why? Because you're fucking my ex?"

Bella looks hurt as if she was my girl and I cheated. She's not, never has been, and I thought I made myself clear. I feel almost sorry, but then remember that of all guys, she chose to be with the prick who promised to make my life hell.

"Shut your mouth, Ferdinand. And leave right fucking now."

Bella glares at me. "No! And is it true? Do you really sleep with the goody-two-shoes now?"

"It's none of your business. The Temple's the place where friends meet. The guy you dragged here isn't our friend."

Bella tips her chin up and hops off Ferdinand's lap. "Fine! Let's go, Gavin. For your information, Brian, this place isn't your property. The Temple doesn't belong to you."

"Whatever," I say. "Get lost, both of you."

They leave. Everyone's attention is on me, and I loathe it.

"Go on having fun, guys," I say and pivot to walk away.

Footsteps break the quiet and make the dry branches crunch. They belong to Mac, Dakota, and Lenny.

"Let's grab something to eat," Lenny offers.

We go to a diner that's open twenty-four seven and take a seat in a corner booth. My mood's shitty, and Dakota's aware of it. She saw a very different Brian from the one I show everyone else. D dragged my drunk ass out of the clubs too many times to count, and I crashed on her couch way too often. I owe her because she was there for me the way Mac had been that week when I nearly died.

I eat some but drink way more. D hasn't touched her beer. I feel shitty for forcing her to be my DD tonight, but I'm already too smashed to care.

"Let's get moving, guys," Dakota says. "I've got a lot to do in the morning."