14. Sleepless

I wake up in the middle of the night with my heart racing and a sheen of cold sweat coating my body

I wake up in the middle of the night with my heart racing and a sheen of cold sweat coating my body. The massive stone block doesn't let me breathe. It isn't real, but my chest hurts as if it was.

I feel my nightstand for the glass of water I always leave there. Then I open the drawer, grab the small bottle, and wash the pill down with the liquid. Staring into my dark bedroom, I count to one hundred trying to get some air into my lungs, but it's useless. My hammering pulse won't let me sleep.

I take my cigarettes and a lighter and pad to the window, lighting a cig on the go.

Nicotine makes it worse. I should quit, but I'm not one to do what's best for me. Although the shit's bad, it gives me something to do while I'm trying to calm down.

I open the window and climb onto the windowsill. It's easy to see the night sky from there. No stars tonight, but something I notice makes the corners of my mouth lift in a smirk.

"Yo, Kitten."

The curtain's drawn, but Kitten's open window reveals the outline of her thin frame. Is she hiding from me?

Kitten appears from behind the fabric. "Hey, O'Brien."

Her voice is quiet, and there's no trace of her earlier laughter.

"What's up? Can't sleep?"

Kitten nods and sits on the windowsill, mirroring my position. "Mom and I argued because I asked her why she didn't accept the job. I'm still grounded. I'm lucky she wasn't here when you dropped me off."

"You did nothing to deserve being grounded," I say. "You're not a damn kid."

"I know." She sighs. "I just don't want more arguments. She'll let me go out when Gavin comes to pick me up tomorrow, anyway."

"Tomorrow? It's Saturday."

Kitten shrugs. "We're going on a date."

I lower my gaze to the half-burned cigarette and bite my lip at Kitten's admission. Knowing how shitty Fer is, I'm baffled that he's her boyfriend. I might keep forgetting about it on purpose. However, even in my miserable, insomniac state, I know it's for the best. I'm not good for her. She's a good girl, innocent and naïve. I'm none of those things — I won't wear pressed pants, go to college, or stop cussing.

No words leave my mouth while I finish smoking. Then I slide back into my room and leave the cigarette butt in the ashtray. "Night, Leah," I say before drawing the curtain and returning to my already cold bed.

***

Mac's gym is the first place I go once I wake up. He set it up last year together with Lenny, using the little savings they had.

It's doing well — Mac's good at business, and he's not afraid of hard work.

I make my way inside and spot my friend next to the dumbbell rack. Mac's inspecting it while writing something down on a notepad.