27. Cockroach

I glance at Mac and focus my gaze on Annie

"What do you mean Leah's missing? Come on, tell me everything."

Annie sighs. "Okay. Someone vandalized Leah's locker, writing 'Slut's daughter' on it with a red marker, and she saw it. She was upset, and on top of that, some idiots started to tease her. Leah said she wanted to go to the bathroom. I stayed, trying to erase the words from her locker's door, but she never made it to our second period. I searched for her everywhere. Kenzie and I checked the area around the school, but she wasn't there. And I have her things." Annie nods toward Mac's bike, and I spot Kitten's bag and coat.

"Fuck," I mutter. A silent convo takes place between Mac and me. I raise my eyebrows slightly, and he nods just barely.

Fucking Ferdinand is dead.

"Wait for me; I need to tell Dad I have to do something," I tell Annie. "Leave Leah's stuff on my porch."

She nods, and I rush into the garage where Pops is working on a bike's basic maintenance.

"Dad, I'm gonna head out. Girl trouble," I say.

Pops smirks. "When's she due?"

I can't help rolling my eyes at his humor. "Not funny. I didn't get anyone pregnant. Kitten's missing, and I need to find her before the chick freezes to death."

"Kitten," Pops says under his breath and then chuckles. "Go. I'll manage without you. You did more than enough last week."

I dash out of the garage and approach my friends. "Go home, guys; I'll look for her."

"Are you sure?" Annie frowns. "We can help."

"You've done enough already. I'm gonna check some places she likes and text you when I find her."

If I find her.

I shake away the thought and rush to the garage. I'm on Fat Boy in no time, heading downtown.

Leah isn't there. I check the school grounds and ride to the lake. Deep down, I know she won't be there, and I'm right.

Finding her is my priority, but the moment I do, I'm leaving her at home and going to kick Ferdinand's ass. It was bound to happen. That cockroach hates rejection, but unlike other guys, he never acts openly. He's the kind who would stab you when you're not looking, and I hate that he was in Leah's life. She doesn't deserve that piece of crap.

I ride back into town and cruise down the rest of the streets, but she's nowhere to be seen. Her phone's off, no surprise there. Perhaps I should've accepted Mac's help. The wind howls, and the sky's dark. It's going to rain, and Leah's somewhere out there, alone.

I'm in our neighborhood, so I stop by my house and grab a spare jacket. If I find Leah, she'll be freezing.

Pops is still working, and the house is quiet. I run upstairs and open my bedroom door.