13. His Place

I hesitate next to O'Brien's bike, and he rolls his eyes, doing nothing to conceal his impatience

"I know you don't have better things to do, Princess. Hop on."

In the end, I oblige. O'Brien's right. If I stay home, my afternoon will be dull. Gavin and his friends got into his car and drove away after class. They needed to study, and I'd rather take a long walk and breathe some air than sit in the library, listening to my growling stomach and getting bored.

It's when my arms find their place around O'Brien's waist that I realize I didn't ask him where we're going.

"I have to stop by the store and get something to eat," he says as if he can read my mind. "Then I'm gonna show you the place where I spent lots of time growing up."

"Okay," I say over the loud rumble of the bike's engine. We cruise around the town until O'Brien slows down and parks next to a store. I accompany him inside and watch him choose some bread, ham, cheese, water, and even cupcakes.

Soon, the bike rolls down the country road, and I shiver as the cold wind blows against the back of my neck. It isn't raining, but the sky is painted gray and looks too dark for so early in the afternoon.

I've never been to this place in the forest. We must've ridden even farther than where The Temple is. Although the road turns narrow and bumpy, O'Brien seems to know where he's going, so I say nothing and grip him tighter while my eyes soak in the surrounding scenery.

"We're here, Kitten," O'Brien says. "I hope you brought a bikini and some sunscreen."

I stare at the guy, who seems to have lost his mind. He laughs as he parks the bike under a tall pine.

When my feet are planted on the ground, I get rid of the helmet and raise my head skyward. The wind isn't chilly anymore. A pleasant earthy scent permeates the air, and some birds are perched on tree branches.

I glance at O'Brien and catch him smirking.

"What?"

He shrugs. "Nothing. You don't go out much, do you? I don't mean parties; I mean spending time outdoors."

"No, not much," I say. "What about you?"

O'Brien laughs. "I'm the opposite, Kitten. If it weren't for Pops and the garage, I wouldn't spend lots of time at home."

"Why?"

"There's too much to see and too little time to do it, so why waste it?"

O'Brien grabs the bag with the food he bought and strolls down the narrow path leading into the woods. I follow him, afraid to get lost in a place I don't know. In less than five minutes, we're standing next to a lake surrounded by trees.

Much to my surprise, it's not windy here at all. I take a tentative step toward the wooden pier and can't help marveling at the beauty in front of me. The reflection of the trees in the mirror-like, smooth surface of the lake makes up for the lack of sunlight and warmth.

Kitten (Brian&Leah,1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara