41. The Fight

The exams are finally over, and I know my grades will be excellent

As I am gathering my textbooks after our last period, two things are on my mind — my recent chat with Brian's mom and the last couple of nights Brian spent in my bed.

Since the day he brought the test results, he's been sleeping with me every night, leaving my bedroom through the window at dawn.

"Leah."

Awareness shoots through me when I hear Gavin's voice, followed by his tight grip on my forearm.

I manage to break free from Gavin's grasp and take a step back, rubbing the spot where his fingers dug into my skin.

"What do you want?" I snarl.

Gavin's eyes narrow at me. Anger distorts his face, making him lose the good boy mask he's used to wearing.

"Tell your loser of a boyfriend not to stick his nose into my father's business."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mutter as I grab my things, desperate to get out of the classroom.

"He knows," Gavin smirks. "My father has been working hard on his campaign. He's the one who deserves to be the Mayor, not the good-for-nothing fool your boyfriend has been helping."

"If you have a problem with Brian, have the guts to talk to him. I'm not your messenger," I say over my shoulder and don't stay to wait for Gavin's reply.

Annie is waiting for me at the school entrance. She had to talk to our tutor, and we agreed to meet there afterward.

"How did it go?" I ask.

Annie smiles. "Great. She just wanted to congratulate me on my good results this term. I'm glad studying paid off, not gonna lie."

"I told you it would." I rest my purse on the ground and start to put on my jacket.

Annie opens her mouth to reply, but then her eyes zero in on my forearm. She touches it and looks at me. "Leah?  You didn't have this before."

A bruise is starting to form where Gavin grabbed me, and the sight of it makes me nauseous.

"It was Gavin," I say. "He's pissed at Brian because of I don't know what regarding the mayoral elections."

"And he just goes and puts his dirty paws on you? Wait till Brian sees it. Gavin is dead."

"Brian doesn't need problems, Annie. He won't leave it alone, and I'm sure Gavin did it on purpose."

"Piece of crap," Annie says, shaking her head. "I see why Bella and Gavin are together. They are a match made in heaven."

"I don't care. I only want to see Brian. Talk to you later?"

Annie kisses my cheek. "Bye. And you should probably tell Brian what happened, Leah."