46. Until This Night

I grip Brian's jacket tighter as his bike tears into traffic

I grip Brian's jacket tighter as his bike tears into traffic. Everything around me is new - the bright, almost blinding lights, and the buildings so high they seem to reach the sky. Brian has been here many times, but it's the first time for me. I cannot help marveling at the cityscape in front of my eyes, regretting not having been here before. My inexperience has never been more blatant.

Another bike reaches us. The woman riding on the back of it gives me a thumbs up, and I smile at Brian's mom before redirecting my attention to the arena ahead of us. Brian slows down and takes a right turn. In a short while, the bike stops at the parking lot, and I hop off it and stretch, infusing some life into my muscles that feel stiff after the two-hour ride.

People are littered out by the entrance to the arena. Some are milling around, and I know it's because they are either trying to resell their tickets or want to find someone willing to sell a ticket to them.

Many fans, Brian's parents and us included, are wearing T-shirts with the band's name, Rebellious Hearts, plastered on the front. The magnitude of Brian's brother's fame never felt so real to me as it does now.

"Let's wish Jim good luck before the show," Brian tells me as he laces his fingers with mine and leads me toward the emergency exit of the arena. After telling the security guy who we are, the four of us make our way into the venue. We have our all-access passes, and nobody stops us as we walk to the area where the artists are. Brian knocks on one of the doors, and it opens wide.

Jim is on the other side of the dressing room. He grins from ear to ear as soon as he spots us and steps aside to let us in.

"Thank fuck you're not naked," Brian says, hugging his brother.

Jim laughs. "I was, little fucker, but now it's all done, even my makeup."

"We're not going to take up lots of your time," says Aria. She takes a step forward and hugs her son tightly, kissing his cheek. "Good luck, Jimmy. To all of you," she adds, looking at the three guys that have just walked in through the door.

"Thank you," one of the musicians says. "Jim, the opener is about to start. Are you ready?"

Jim huffs and smoothes his hand over his styled hair. "Almost. Enjoy the concert. I'm happy you're here," he says to us and hugs his parents, Brian and me.

"Good luck, bro." I hear Brian say as we exit the dressing room. The sound of the guys' laughter echoes in the hallway, and Brian's parents smile, looking at each other.

"Who would've thought, right?" Brian's dad tells his wife. "We used to be a pair of kids going to see our favorite bands, and now, our child is a star."

I look at Brian, who smiles and shrugs. "None of us quite believes it."

I peck his cheek, and we saunter to the concert area. We are going to be in the floor section, and as we make our way there, we have to push our way through the crowd of noisy, enthusiastic fans.