17. Bucket Lists

O'Brien's bedroom is tidy

O'Brien's bedroom is tidy. It's the second time I've been here, and just like the first time, there's no mess.

Given his chaotic personality and his devil-may-care attitude, I'm surprised. Maybe, just maybe, there's more to him than what he shows me and everyone else.

We judge others quickly without caring to delve deeper. Take Gavin with his ironed clothes and excellent grades. You'd assume he's a good guy. That's what I thought until he showed what he was made of. After all, O'Brien's right. I'm naïve, and he's...he's anything but.

"The way you're staring at my bed makes me want to show you the boy, Kitten. Be careful with me."

O'Brien's leaning against the door frame, and I'm gaping at his dark blue comforter. I didn't mean to, but I got lost in thought.

"I came here to watch a movie with you. You can show the boy to someone else."

O'Brien chuckles. "Of course, Princess. I had to try. So, make yourself comfortable."

He doesn't wait for me to sit and flops down on his bed, yawning. As he stretches, his shirt rolls up, revealing the well-defined stomach muscles. That alone flusters me. I catch myself thinking I've never been attracted to anyone in that way, which leads me to the recollection of Gavin's dirty offer, and just like that, I'm on the verge of tears again.

O'Brien pats the comforter next to him. "Come here. I was kidding about the boy. Okay, I wasn't, but he listens to what I say. He's not gonna break free, Kitten. These jeans are tight as fuck. You're safe unless you don't wanna be, and I can show him to you when it's your birthday. It's better than sleeping with Ferdinand; I promise."

O'Brien's words are outrageous, but I laugh anyway and lie next to him - too close to him because he doesn't move away and stays where he is.

"You have no filter, O'Brien."

He sighs. "And no fucks left to give, so that makes life way easier."

"You must care about something," I say. "Apart from the boy."

O'Brien chuckles and turns his head on the pillow. His face is inches from mine, and without knowing why, we stare into each other's eyes.

His are brown. They get darker when he's angry and look hazel, almost green in daylight. His lashes are nearly as long as mine. O'Brien's very far from ugly. All the opposite. He's handsome - a typical heartbreaker Mom's been warning me about for the last five years.

She might be on to something. He sleeps around, and I doubt a guy like him would want a girlfriend.

"I do care, Kitten," he whispers. "I care about my family and friends and this town cause it's where I was born."

"That's a lot of things."

"Yeah?"

O'Brien brings his hand to my face and takes a strand of my hair between his fingers, inspecting it. Then, he gently tucks it behind my ear. "What about you?" he asks. "What do you care about?"