9. The Temple

I freeze next to O'Brien and try to make up a plausible explanation for Gavin

I freeze next to O'Brien and try to make up a plausible explanation for Gavin. I can't think of any, but the truth isn't an option, either.

"Leah." Gavin's flinty gaze sweeps over me. "Where have you been? What are you doing with this guy?"

My eyebrows bunch up. I didn't take Gavin for someone who'd get jealous. Then again, he's the only guy I've ever been with. He never had to worry.

O'Brien steps forward. "I'm Brian. I asked Leah to look if the water pipe under her house leaked. Our garage is close to it, and there was water inside. We went to check for damage."

"Does it leak?" Gavin asks. I can't tell if he believes the lie. His impassive face hardly ever displays emotions.

O'Brien shakes his head. "No. It must've come from somewhere else. I just wanted to make sure. It's Dad's new business, after all."

"What are you doing here? I thought you needed to study," I say to divert Gavin's attention to a different topic.

"I brought money for the rent. Your mom can't pay for the house this month. My parents are going to help the two of you out."

I stare at Gavin, and my cheeks flush. How could he say it like that in front of a guy he doesn't know? I don't want to be reminded we're poor. It's humiliating. I chew on my bottom lip and nod, afraid to look at O'Brien's face and find his signature smirk.

He speaks in a moment. "I also wanted to invite you and Leah to The Temple. It's our meeting spot on the edge of the town. My girlfriend Bella and I hang out there. We're going to meet tomorrow evening at around eight and have some drinks. It'll be fun."

Gavin looks at me. Then, his eyes shift to O'Brien, and he stuns me by saying, "Okay, we'll be there."

"Awesome." O'Brien grins and gives me a wink. "See you, Leah and Fer."

Gavin frowns. "Fer?"

The idiot of my neighbor has no decency and no filter. I should've remembered that.

"Damn, it's not Ferdinand, right? What was your name again? I'm sorry; my memory's shitty."

"I'm Gavin," my boyfriend says.

O'Brien smiles and gives us a small wave. "See you tomorrow, Gavin and Leah."

He leaves, and I push past Gavin, who follows me into the house.

I retrieve my keys and unlock the door with my shaky hand. "Why did you do that?" I ask, crossing my arms. "Why did you have to mention we were poor to my neighbor?"

Gavin puts an envelope on our dining table and purses his lips. "That's the truth, isn't it? My parents are generous, and your mom needs the money. What's the problem?"

"I don't want everyone to know. It's embarrassing."

Gavin rolls his eyes. "Your neighbor's opinion doesn't matter. He probably dropped out of school."