11. Movies and Convos

Kitten stands in the middle of my bedroom and stares at my bed, wide-eyed

Kitten stands in the middle of my bedroom and stares at my bed, wide-eyed. "Why are we here?"

I shrug. "I'm gonna show you my boy. Haven't I told you it's pierced?"

The look on her face is priceless. She stumbles back, nearly colliding with my dresser as she tries to get away from me.

I shake with laughter and tell Kitten, "Okay, I'm not lying, but we don't have that kind of relationship yet. Showing the boy requires trust."

Kitten blushes and looks at her feet. "You're an ass, O'Brien," she huffs.

"I've been called worse. So, you're here because I wanted us to watch a movie together." I point to the huge TV on my bedroom wall. "It's late, and unless you wanna see the boy, there aren't many entertainment options left."

Kitten glances around as if she's just taken notice of her surroundings. Then she shrugs. "Okay."

I kick off my shoes and flop down on my bed. "Come here. The bed's big, and I don't bite. Okay, I do, but after some time."

With an eye-roll, Kitten perches on the edge of the bed and folds her hands on her knees. Any other chick would've climbed on top of me by now.

"Come on," I say. "There's enough space for us both. I don't touch girls against their will, Kitten. You're safe with me unless you don't wanna be."

The corners of Kitten's mouth lift, but she'd never openly laugh at something I say. She's too afraid to show what she thinks and feels. However, she does as told. The mattress barely dips under her weight as she lies down beside me, resting her head against a throw pillow. In a second, Kitten frowns and shifts on the bed. My eyes flare because she's holding a bottle of pills. They must've fallen out of my bag earlier.

"What are these?" Kitten asks, twirling the bottle.

"They're nothing." I snatch the pills from her and toss the bottle in my nightstand drawer. It lands on the condoms, and I flinch at the irony — my life as of late in a nutshell.

Kitten shrugs. "Whatever. Let's watch a movie; just don't put any porn on."

I chuckle. "Nah, I'd rather watch it alone. You're too judgmental to handle it."

"And you're a jerk."

"Accurate, Kitten."

"But you're not in a gang, and you don't have a gun."

"Spot on, Princess. Sorry for ruining your fantasy of a hot mafia dude whisking you away. I'm not into any of the illegal shit. Don't like guns, either."

"Now you're suddenly a good boy like Gavin."

"Gavin has nothing good about him. Sometimes the worst kind of shit is hiding in the most beautiful package. It's easy to fool a naïve girl like you."