8. I'm Glad You Came

I stand in O'Brien's backyard, wondering what I'm doing here

I wasn't going to accept his invitation, and I didn't believe his apologies. He's an arrogant ass who never thinks about others and how his words make them feel.

I changed my mind when Mom went to look for a job again, and Gavin refused to see me, saying he needed to study.

Mom would be furious if I left the house, but since we don't talk to anyone in town, the chances of someone telling her I disobeyed her orders are slim.

My eyes sweep over the crowd in front of me, and I spot O'Brien standing next to a good-looking guy. He's tall and looks familiar.

O'Brien lays his eyes on me and saunters my way. It's the second time I've seen him so close. Gavin isn't short, but I have to crane my neck to look at O'Brien. He's strong, too, but isn't bulky at all.

"Kitten," he says. "Welcome to the lion's den. I'm glad you came."

"You convinced me." I shrug.

O'Brien smirks and points to the grill. "The guy over there is my brother Jimmy. I'll introduce you to him in a while. The man singing next to him is my father."

"And I'm Brian's mother, Aria," a woman says. It's hard to tell how old she is. Thin and pretty, she has a genuine smile on her face, and her brown hair falls over her shoulders in beautiful waves. "What's your name?"

"Leah," I say, shaking her hand.

"How did you and Brian meet?" Aria asks.

I want to answer, but O'Brien butts in, "Don't harass her, Mom. Leah's our neighbor."

Aria slaps O'Brien's chest. "Where are your manners? I wasn't harassing anyone. I was just talking to Leah. Better bring us some food. The steaks must be ready."

O'Brien nods and saunters away. Every girl's eyes are glued to him, and heat creeps up my cheeks.

"So, have you lived here long?" Aria asks.

I tear my gaze away from Brian. "My mom and I moved here in September."

"Didn't she come here today?"

"No," I say. "She had to go into town."

It's not a lie, but Mom would never go to a party like this one. She'd be shocked at the bikes and loud music and would spend all the time complaining.

O'Brien pushes through the crowd, holding two plates full of steak, salad, and baked potatoes.

"Here, Kitten," he says, giving one plate to me. "There's more; Jimmy told me to wait. We didn't think so many people would come."

"It's okay," I say, much lower than I wanted to.

Aria smiles, looking at her son and then at me. "How did you get that nickname?"