48. The Truth

"Mitchell," Eric repeats, wiping at his eyes

My voice is small and shaky as I utter, "Yes."

I know that I am staring at the tall, handsome man in front of me with hope. Hope that he might be my dad. Hope that he might be a good person. Hope that he might want me.

But then, he looks at his feet — his boot-clad feet, not me — and says, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, but I cannot do this."

Eric pivots and marches to the front door, which slams shut behind him. Frozen, I barely register Brian's dad rushing after his friend.

A pathetic, loud sob leaves my mouth. I dart up the stairs, taking two steps at a time, and collapse on Brian's bed, letting the tears flow as my body shakes.

Brian followed me. I feel his arms around me and his tender kisses. He rocks me as if I were a baby and holds me while I break down.

What did I expect? That somehow, I would be the exception to the rule everyone knows, the one that says fathers who abandon their kids hardly ever regret it?

I am Leah Mitchell, a girl raised in poverty by her single, bitter mother. My life isn't a fairy tale. I shouldn't have forgotten that.

"Baby, don't cry," Brian whispers, kissing my hair. "Pops will talk to him; the guy will come around."

"It had to come from Eric, Brian." I sniffle. "And it was clear he didn't want to get to know me. Why would he?"

Brian shakes his head, but a knock on his door doesn't let him speak.

"Come in," says Brian.

His mom walks into the bedroom, holding a tray with food. "Son, give us a moment," she says to Brian. He kisses my cheek, gets up from the bed to exit the room, and closes the door behind him.

"I brought you something to eat," Aria says, smiling. "And I won't allow any objections. While you are here, you're another kid of mine, and my kids are never left hungry."

"Thank you," I say and let Aria sit by my side. She hands me a plate with some meat and salad on it and nods toward it, asking me to start eating.

I'm not hungry, but I do it. A tender smile plays on Brian's mom's lips while she's watching me eat.

"So pretty and kind," she says. "No wonder Brian is head over heels in love."

"Thank you," I whisper. "I don't think he's in love, though, but he cares, and it's enough."

Aria sighs. "That's my stubborn son for you, but he wouldn't fool me. It's way more than caring, Leah."

"Maybe, but I'm not naīve. I mean, what's to love?"

"Don't you dare, young lady," Brian's mom scolds me. "You are smart, beautiful, and have a heart of gold together with that character you shouldn't be hiding. You are worthy of all the love in the world, and I am talking not only about my son but about Eric as well."