34. Get Out

Losing sleep over a girl is a first for me

I sit on the windowsill chain-smoking and staring at Kitten's house, wishing she were in my bed.

I contemplate climbing into her bedroom through her window and sleeping with her, but then smack my stupid head. It would make me look clingy. We spent all day together, and here I am, wanting more.

What the fuck has she done to me? Her girl must have bewitched my boy cause I can still feel Kitten's kisses on my neck and her heat on my fingers.

The dudes who invented Viagra should consider coming up with an anti-boner pill because the boy got more than one night rub, and that did very little to satisfy him. After what Kitten and I did in the woods, my hand is a poor substitute for the real thing. And fuck if it wasn't real.

I think about how beautiful she looked coming for me and how she went from hating me to trusting me enough to allow me to touch her. I was the first guy who did that, and I hope it was great.

What if it wasn't?

The other chicks could have lied. What if Leah said it was amazing to make me feel good?

I suck at dating, and now I owe Jim, who saved my ass by suggesting the hot-air balloon shit. For a guy who's never dated, my big bro is resourceful. I wanted something special Leah would remember because what Bella did still makes me feel guilty. No guy wants the girl he likes to hear about his past hookups, and least of all from a chick he used to screw.

I groan and toss the half-burned cigarette into the ashtray by my side. I should quit as Mac did. It was for Annie, but that crap is bad, and I admire the dude for having enough willpower to stick to his decision not to smoke.

What if Kitten doesn't like the smoke and is disgusted by my kisses? She said they were average so many times it makes me wonder.

I slide off the windowsill and go to bed. Leah's on my mind when I close my eyes. I imagine her naked on my bike with her legs wrapped around me and her lips on my neck like today.

That's how I know I won't be able to sleep.

***

After my fifth attempt to stop thinking about Kitten and fall asleep, I gave up, got dressed, and decided to do Pops' paperwork at barely eight a.m.

Dad's one hell of a mechanic, but the mess he creates on his desk out of nowhere is impressive.

I shuffle to the garage like a zombie, clutching a mug with steaming coffee.

At first, I think my eyesight is playing tricks on me, but what I see is real — a dude is at the entrance, leaning against his motorbike and yawning. It's oddly comforting to know I wasn't the only sleepless one last night.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

The guy jolts upright and stares at me. "Yeah, please. If you're a mechanic. Are you?"