45. Tiger

Leah and I approach Bill's store

Leah and I approach Bill's store. Her hand is clasped in mine, and I touch the back of it with my thumb from time to time, making Kitten look up at me, smiling.

She spent the night in my bed, snuggled up to me, all warm and mine. I slept like a baby. Hadn't it been for Kitten's school, I wouldn't have let her go anywhere at all.

"You didn't tell me there would be so many people," I hear Leah say.

I tear my eyes away from her face and look at the store in front of us.
The sidewalk is swarming with people. Mac, Annie, and Lenny are there, waving at us as soon as they see Leah and me. I scan the crowd for my parents, but Pops and Mom must already be inside.

We come up to our friends, weaving our way through the dense crowd.

"'Sup," I greet the guys while Leah is chatting with Annie.

"This is insane," Mac says, nodding toward the packed store. "As soon as everyone learned Bill was gonna run for mayor, people started to spread the word. Look at how many of them turned up. It's all the clients were talking about at the gym."

"Bill must be overwhelmed," I say. I've known the guy all my life. He's never been the one to seek others' attention.

"Let's go inside," Annie says. "Your dad saved us some seats."

As soon as we enter the store, it becomes clear it wouldn't fit everyone. People are everywhere. Some of them are sitting; others are leaning against the walls or chatting in small groups, huddled together.

I see my dad in front of the room. Lacing my fingers with Leah's, I lead her toward him.

"Hey," I greet Pops.

Dad smiles. "Brian. How are you?"

"Good. Thanks for saving us the seats."

"It's nothing. What about you, kid?" Pops asks Leah.

"I'm okay, thank you," says Kitten. She starts fidgeting with her small purse, and I press her to my side, kissing her temple. Then, I look at Dad.

"Did you talk to Eric?"

Dad nods. "I did. He's traveling on business and will be here in a couple of weeks. I invited him to have lunch at our house. Maybe we should have told him what's going on, Son."

"No. It's better this way. I don't want to risk him getting nervous enough to cancel the meeting. So, we're gonna see him after Jim's concert, am I right?"

"That's right. Don't worry," Dad adds, looking at Kitten, who seems pale and lost. "We will be there with you. Right,  Son?"

"Of course," I say with confidence, looking into Leah's eyes and cupping her soft cheek with my palm. She leans into my touch and then draws an arm around my waist, resting her head against my chest. The gesture makes Pops smile the kind of a smile that says, you're screwed, little fucker.