44. The Decision

The room is dark when I wake up

The room is dark when I wake up. I feel the warmth of Brian's body next to mine and his arm around my waist. I feel light and happy for a moment, but then, the fogginess in my head dissipates, and I remember it all.

I remember the pictures of the man who could be my dad and the night I spent crying over my fight with Brian and my mom's reluctance to be honest with me. I instantly wish I could go back to sleep and forget it all, but it's too late.

"Kitten."

Brian's whisper pulls me out of the well of sadness, where I was about to drown. I turn around and look at him.

"How are you feeling?" he asks, touching my stomach through the cotton of my shirt.

"Better," I say and try to smile.

I know Brian doesn't believe me. He sighs and cups my cheek with his other hand. "You're spending the night with me," Brian says. "I will beg if you say no. I need to feed you and take care of you, and we need to talk."

"Okay." I nod. "I need to shower first, and if you could lend me some clothes—"

"Of course," Brian says too fast and rolls out of bed. I watch him rummage in his closet. He pulls out a hoodie and some shorts and lays them on the bed next to me.

"Thank you," I say. Then, I grab the clothes and some pads from my purse and hurry to the bathroom to take a shower and get changed.

Hot water relaxes me. It doesn't wash away all my worries, but I feel better when I'm back in Brian's bedroom.

He approaches me immediately and wraps me in his arms, kissing my face before I bury it in the crook of his neck.

"I'm sorry," says Brian. "I behaved like a stupid immature idiot, and you didn't deserve it."

"I shouldn't have pushed, knowing that you have other plans for your future."

Brian smoothes his thumb over my cheek and looks into my eyes. "My plans for the future involve you, Leah, regardless of where you are. You are important to me, and I care about you. We will be together even if you go to college. I know I would never cheat on you."

"It's not going to be easy," I whisper.

Chuckling, Brian says, "Quoting my big brother, nothing meaningful is ever easy. We will be okay, Kitten. You have to think about your future because I know you want more, and I am proud of you for wanting to succeed. You are smart, and I know you will go far. I won't be the one to hold you back."

"So are you, Brian. I said those things not only because I am worried about our relationship but also because I want the best for you. You never tell me how you feel and what you want."

Brian sighs, squeezing me tighter. "This shit is hard for me, Kitten. I told you what I wanted. I love my job and bikes. It makes me feel good because it's something I know. It's comfortable and familiar."