40. The Future

Sitting at a table in Brian's back yard, I'm watching him talk to his brother, dad, and grandparents

Sitting at a table in Brian's back yard, I'm watching him talk to his brother, dad, and grandparents. A broad, genuine smile is pasted on Brian's face, and he looks even more handsome than usual.

Too busy ogling my boyfriend, I miss the moment when Brian's mom sits on a chair next to me.

"It's hard to believe he's already nineteen," Aria says, nodding toward Brian. "Coffee?"

"Yes, please," I say with a smile and accept a mug from Aria's hands.

"I wanted to thank you, Leah. It's been a while since I last saw my son so happy, and I know meeting you had a lot to do with it."

"I did nothing," I say and try to hide my blush as I take a sip from the mug.

Aria laughs. "Nonsense! Of course, you did something. You support him and ground him and put up with him. I gave birth to that big baby. I know he's not the easiest boy to be with. Brian has a big heart, but I'd lie if I said he isn't maddeningly stubborn sometimes. God knows we fought quite a lot some years ago."

I look at Brian's mom. "Yeah, he told me."

The look on Aria's face is one of utter disbelief. "He did?"

"Yeah. He told me all about it. About being gifted and living in the city."

Aria rubs my forearm. "See? And you say you did nothing. It's very uncommon for Brian to open up. As soon as you try to talk about something serious with him, he jests and laughs and changes the topic."

"Do you think he's happy?" I ask Brian's mom. "I know that he loves his job at the garage, and he is good with bikes, but after he told me about being different, I can't help wondering if what he does is enough. I would hate it if he settled for less out of fear."

"I lost that battle," says Aria, sighing as she twists the bracelet on her wrist. "It's what Brian wants, and although I don't understand his reluctance to go to college, I learned to accept his decisions. I'd love to believe he's happy, Leah. On days like today, when I see him smile, I think he is."

I am quiet, and Aria speaks again. "You were asking because it's time to think about college, right?"

"Yeah." I nod. "I'd love to study for a degree."

"Anything in mind?"

My eyes travel to Brian's tall, lean frame. In my heart, I know it's way more than physical attraction. We have complicity and chemistry, and I feel that he understands me better than anyone I know.

"I thought about psychology," I say to Aria. "But there is no way I can afford it if I don't get a grant; that's why I have to study hard now."

What I don't say is that my choice isn't random. Brian did inspire me and made me want to become someone who could help people with their issues.