32. Regrets

I made sure Ferdinand saw me kissing Kitten next to the school

I made sure Ferdinand saw me kissing Kitten next to the school. I didn't do it out of jealousy because the cockroach is no threat. I didn't kiss her to show everyone I'm a possessive asshole cause I'm not.

Leah isn't my property. She's her own person, but that doesn't mean Fer can mess with her. I wanted to send him a message — I have her back. If he tries to bully her, he'll regret it.

It's early when I make it to the shop. I have a bunch of things to do, but my mind's restless. I have a bad feeling, like when something shitty is about to happen, but you ignore your intuition, hoping your overactive imagination's playing tricks on you.

Pops is out of town. I start working on the first bike as soon as I open the business and don't stop until the Harley is fixed, not even for a smoke. I smile to myself when I realize I haven't smoked today at all, too distracted by thoughts about Kitten.

"Hello there, handsome."

The familiar voice makes me grin, and my hazel eyes meet Mom's green ones.

"Hey, Mom. What a nice surprise."

She walks up and kisses my cheek. "I don't have morning classes today. Are you too busy?"

"I can take a short break. Would you like a drink?"

Mom smiles. "Coffee, if you have some. I didn't get much sleep last night."

I remember she had a date with Pops and grin as I approach the coffee machine to make our drinks. "Pops didn't, either. Are Jimmy and I gonna have a little brother or sister?"

"That ship's sailed." Mom laughs. "We have enough on our plate with our two sons, but I'll be a good grandmother when the time comes."

"Don't count on me for that. Jimmy, on the other hand..."

Mom sighs. "Jimmy's too busy for girlfriends. By the way, how's Leah?"

"Leah's good," I say and can't help smiling.

"So, you're dating."

I finish making my mom's coffee and hand her a cup. "Yeah, we are."

"That makes me so happy!" Mom squeezes me in a tight hug. "She's the kind of girl you need."

"And what kind of girl do I need, pray tell?"

"One who'd get you but wouldn't be afraid of putting you in your place. Leah's shy, but there's more to her."

"You're probably right. Kitten has claws; she's just scared to use them."

Mom winks at me. "See? Mothers are hardly ever wrong. Since we're talking about it, why don't you bring Leah to one of our family dinners so we can get to know her?"

"You're gonna scare her off." I laugh, sipping my coffee.

Mom ruffles my hair. "I won't. I hope Jimmy can come, too."