I

It was supposed to be nothing but a normal school year, as the bell rang for the seniors last year at Willow Creek high school. The hot summer sun burning down their necks as the classroom smelled like sweat and anxiety, with a hint of hormonal teenage angst.

The summer had been alright for Mila, she hadn't done much besides writing camp in Alabama and finally redoing her pink princess room into what looked like an edgy emo phase. Mila opened her locker, number 272, putting in the stack of school books they had to read this semester. She didn't have much time to think, as the sound of clicking heels and a high pitched voice revealed her best friend.

"Mila!!!!" Aera almost yelled as she sprinted to locker 272 hugging her best friend. "Aera you're -..breaking -...my bones" Mila tried to say, as she felt her ribs almost breaking by the tight hug. Aera laughed and let go of her.

"So, are you excited for your first last day?" Aera asked, making Mila flash her a confused look. "My what?" Mila asked. "Your first last day," Aera said again, leaning against the locker as she looked at her friend. "You know, the first day of senior year!"

"I think you mean my last first day, love... and yea I haven't really thought much of it honestly" Mila answered as she closed her locker, taking the book she needed for English. "And are you going to speak to you know who?" Aera smirked as her eyebrows wiggled, Mila rolled her eyes as she began walking down the hall Aera following beside her. "My dad? Well no... but I will eventually!" Faking a smile at her best friend, as the sound of her broken-down converse hitting the shiny school floor made her realize how fast she was walking.

"Come on Mila!" Aera sighed and hugged her notebook close to her chest. "You have to talk to him about it, you have wanted to get into Hamilton for years now, you really should be sending your application at least," Mila sighed, knowing what her friend was saying was true, yet she didn't want to.

Hamilton College is known for its writer's program and even though Mila was a talented writer, she was in no way or form as good as her old dad, who became a New York Times bestselling author 8 times.

"Mila I'm serious!" Aera said before they both stop, each having to go their separate ways for class. "If you don't talk to him... I will!" Mila's eyes widened by her friend's words and finally nodded.

"Fine...fine I'll talk to him okay?" She sighed as Aera's smile grew big having gotten what she wanted. "Now go or you will be late for biology, idiot" Mila giggled seeing Aera nod and turn around walking towards the science department of the school. "You have to talk to him!" She yelled as she walked away. "Whatever" Mila yelled back, biting her lip as a small smile formed, yet that smile fastly turned upside down, as the loud noise of sticks hitting metal was heard further down the hall.

Mila looked that way, and saw a group of guys having fun, she only recognized Alex from history class, who was also the one making the loud noise with his drumsticks, she rolled her eyes as she turned around and walked into English.

"Come on dude, that could be an awesome beat for the next song," Alex said, looking at Luke, who leaned against his locker while having his arms crossed. "Alex, it sounds like the scooby-doo intro" Luke laughed gently, which made Alex frown.

"Hey at least it's better than Bobby's solo" Alex answered, looking pissed at his friends, for making fun of the beat. Yet he did admit to himself, it did sound like the scooby-doo intro if it had been on drugs and had a hangover. "Hey! What's wrong with my solo?!" Bobby asked, putting his hand through his black hair. "Oh nothing" Alex faked a smile, as Reggie tried to hold in laughter.

The bell rang and they all went to their classes. Reggie walked into his English class. Without noticing her, he placed himself beside Mila, who had her nose in her notebook, doing characters for her novel. Not even when the teacher was doing roll calls.