XXIX

On the morning of Mila's seventeenth birthday, she felt oddly weird as for the first time in three years, she was woken up by the singing voice of both mom and dad.

Her mother Sophia had baked a lavender cake, as she does every year. Even though Mila told her, she did not like it.

They sang the birthday song and Mila blew out the candles on her birthday cake. "Happy Birthday Millianna" Her father said as he handed her two presents. One clearly from her mom and one from her dad. Mila smiled gently at both of them.

She opened the first one, which contained a beautiful version of the bible, which did not surprise Mila. She looked at her mom who's smile was brighter than the stars.

"So what do you think, do you like it?" Mila looked at the bible, it was white with red-colored roses on the cover. Mila honestly thought it looked more like a teenage fantasy book, yet she faked a smile. "I love it, thank you mom"

After that present, Mila wasn't as excited to open the next one, yet her fake smile continued as she opened her present to have received a history 101 book, Mila looked up at her dad.

"We got mail, you're failing history?" Her dad asked, Mila bit her lip as she took a deep breath. "It's my birthday, and it's Saturday, can we wait for the whole lecture about me not becoming an author until at least Monday?"

Her dad took a deep breath as he looked at his former wife who nodded slowly. "Sure honey, well get dressed, I have made brunch"

The parents left her room, leaving her with the two books, she couldn't decide which one was worse. She took to her two necklaces the cross and the s.

"Elijah, do you really think my parents would go crazy... if I told them I .... might have stopped believing in him? " Mila asked her fictional character Elijah, who was hanging on the wall of her bedroom.

Mila imagined him looking at her like Reggie looks at her when she says she is looking forward to English. "Of course... Never mind I even asked"

Mila took her notebook and went to her desk where took her pen, she took a deep breath as she began writing something quite different in her notebook.

If you have a plan, which I hope you do. I need to know.
I can't keep myself believing in you, trusting you.
If the people whom I am suppose to trust with my dreams,
will shatter them to pieces.
How do I believe in you?

Before she could answer her own question, the sound of her mother yelling made Mila stand up and walk down in the kitchen in her black and white pajamas.

Her mother had filled the whole table with all kinds of breakfast things, tostada con tomate, aceite, y jamón, chocolate con churros, soletillas, pancakes, bacon, eggs, and much more. Mila placed herself and began putting things on her plate.

"Well, let's say our morning prayers, Mija?" Her mom smiled as they all placed out their hands, Mila closed her eyes as she took a deep breath.

"Dear God, thank you for having been with me these last seventeen years, I am grateful for the life I have been given. May today be filled with happiness, friends, and family. Amen"

At that began the Garcia family to eat, her mother and father beginning a conversation about who should drive to church Sunday morning.

"I am simply saying Andrew, that you maybe could drive your daughter to her .... detention," Her mother said before sipping her black coffee. Mila looked around the house, it was filled with her mother's horrible Halloween decorations.

Her dad nodded slowly. "I mean... if Mila would want me, then sure" He looked at his daughter, who didn't seem much to care about the whole conversation as she ate her breakfast.