XXIII

Monday morning Mila walked into the kitchen not expecting to see her mother in the middle of baking. Mila hadn't been home much, mostly to avoid her parents, but that morning she was too hungry to not eat breakfast.

"Morning mom" Mila whispered as she placed herself at her seat, which every morning since her mom had moved back in, were filled with her favorite pancakes.

"Morning Mija," Her mom said, she didn't seem mad or upset, even though not having seen her daughter in such a long time, had been breaking her a little. Mila's dad walked into the kitchen surprised to see his daughter at the dinner table.

"Morning Mila" Mila smiled gently back as she began eating her pancakes, her parents began a normal talk, they didn't even yell at each other which confused Mila a little, her mother joined the table and for a split second, you should think they never had divorced.

"When is that boy picking you up? What's his name again, Reghan?" Her mom asked as she sipped her coffee and ate some of her pancakes,

Mila chuckled and sipped her tea before answering. "His name is Reggie and he will be here soon"

Her parents nodded as they all ate their breakfast. "How is that basement going?" Her dad asked, which made Mila think of the night prior, how Luke had looked at her, yet she shook it off as she smiled at her dad.

"We try our best to get ready for November, but it's hard" She admitted and drank some more of her tea, Mila's mom nodded slowly.

"Remember your birthday is coming up soon, seventeen aye?" Her dad tried, but Mila didn't answer as a honk came.

Mila thanked them for breakfast and was faster out the door than an elephant seeing a mouse.

She ran down the front yard and smiled brightly seeing Reggie smiling back at her in his car, she opened the door and placed herself beside him, the music on the radio was loud, playing top 100.

The car smelled like oatmeal and coffee, which made sense as Reggie handed her, her normal order of a skinny latte.

"Your mom still living there?" Reggie asked as he began driving, Mila nodded as she sipped her coffee, enjoying the warmth spreading in her body.

"Made English homework?" She asked and he nodded as well, they both felt like they should talk about what happened Friday after school, but they decided not to.

When Alex came into the car, talk about which movie is the best Halloween movie began.

"Okay but nightmare before Christmas is a classic, I mean come on, it only came out a couple of years ago but it's the per-" Mila interrupted Alex as he spoke.

"Perfect November movie, right between Halloween and Christmas yes you are right, but not Halloween alone" Alex made a moody face, as Mila continued talking.

"But Carrie is a classic masterpiece, I mean come on Stephen King's books everyone shiver"

Reggie laughed and shook his head: "Okay but which one are we watching on Halloween?" He asked this made Mila look at him confused.

"Halloween?" Reggie chuckled. "Yes Halloween, you know the day wher- " Mila interrupted him.

"I meant what is happening on Halloween?" Mila asked as she sipped her coffee shaking her head at Reggie's bad joke, Reggie laughed to himself.

"Well Sunset Curve meets every Halloween and watches scary movies together, normally after Caroline Black's party"

Caroline Black's Halloween party is known for the party of the year, everyone who is somebody comes, so of course... have Mila never attended.