CHRISTMAS

H A R P E R    P O V

It is Christmas Eve morning; I had no work for a week while the shop is closed for the holidays. Stood by the window gazing out at the shoppers going about their last-minute shopping. The accommodation is above the shop. It's decorated very nicely, plus I had a roommate who worked in the shop too. She had gone to visit her family for the holiday.

Sit on the window ledge watching people rush around. This would be the first Christmas I am spending on my own. Last year I spent it with Lexi and Scott. one month later I met Leon. Opened my heart and fell in love. Then Scott asked me four months ago to marry him. I felt upset knowing this is the day I should have been marrying Scott.

Looked over at the time it is ten in the morning. I would have been getting married at eleven. No need pondering over what would have been. Stand straight with my cup in my hand to see Lexi on the other side of the road. Stood watching her, wondering why she stood there. Scott is not far behind her. He looked amazing in his suit with his dark hair in a tidy mess. He looks dreamy.

My mind went back to what he had said when he left two weeks ago. Could not have a date with him, no matter how much he apologised. Step into the kitchen, wash up my cup. Look over at the tree with presents beneath it. They are gifts that Betsie had got. I'm still paying off the few bills that had accumulated from my old flat. Step into my room to change so I could get the veg for Christmas dinner. I had got a small turkey breast just for me to have.

*****************

Walked to the supermarket picked up the veg plus a bottle of sparkling wine. It didn't cost much thought I could treat myself to one bottle. Make my way back home. It's now after lunch when I arrived back home. Arrived at the door to see a bouquet of pretty flowers with no card. Looked around to see if anyone is watching. I see no one. Place the flowers by the other door. Smiled opened my door to enter when Lexi touches my hand.

Turn to face her. "We have been looking all over for you." She tells me. Place the bag on the floor inside the door. Stood looking down at her with the door open. Scott steps out of the shop doorway into my vision. "Thought we had a date?" He asks. Shake my head. "No Scott. You assumed we had a date." He looks upset with what I had said. "It's obvious you have not forgiven me. What else do you want me to do? I have apologised for my actions. Please, Harper, tell me what I must do to have your forgiveness?" Take a deep breath. He stares at me waiting for my answer.

Look at Lexi then at him. "I would like you to leave me alone. Please, Scott. Today is hard enough thinking of what should have taken place." I say to him. He looks at Lexi. "Lexi, please wait in the limo". He did not sound very happy. She nods walks back the road to where the limo is parked.

I turn to enter the flat. He places his hand on my shoulder. "Harper, I know we should have been married today. Hell, you would have been my wife already." Step into the doorway, pick the bag up. Look back at him. "Well, it did not happen. Guess I'm lucky you didn't leave me at the altar". I close the door walk up the stairs to the kitchen.

Placed the veg on the counter took my coat off. Opened the drawer to get the peeler and a knife. Peeled all the veg and diced it up ready to cook for the next day. Put the bottle of wine in the fridge to keep cold. Make myself a cuppa and sit on the sofa listening to Christmas music for a while.

**************

Sit on the sofa in my PJ's watching Christmas movies. Had to grab a tissue with the movies I'm watching. They are sad but then they have their happy ending. Wiped my eyes changed the channel to watch a Christmas action movie. Well, that took me outta my gloom. Turned the TV off stepped to the window. Gazed up at the night sky. It's dark the sky is clear with stars plus the moon is not quite full.