5.3

*Millie, there are visitors for you!
*Who?!
*It's for you, they are your visitors!
*Dude, it is Sunday
*I'm watching Martien
*This is some serious crap. Oh, he's not here. Where is that kid?

It was Sunday, the last day of the week. Amelie had spent a few days at her home, at Poppy and Gerard, and enjoyed her time. Today was more like a relaxing day, it was the day nobody wanted to do anything, and it showed. Amelie and Maxime, her older 'sister' were watching an old episode of Chateau Meiland, a Dutch reality TV-show: starring Martien Meiland.

"Millie, er is bezoek voor je!*" Joris called from downstairs.

Amelie groaned. "Wie is het?!*" She looked at Maxime, who was pausing the TV show they were watching.

"Het is voor jou, jouw gasten!*"

"Gast, het is zondag," Amelie sighed and got up. "Ik ben Martien aan het kijken.*" She walked down the stairs and was thinking of the possible guests. Mabel? Lando? No, they would walk into the house like it was their own. Nathaniel? Nah, he would call first. Perhaps family? What family, lol? It didn't make sense to her. When she came downstairs, she couldn't find Joris anymore, so she just entered the kitchen. "Wat een gezeik weer. Oh, hij is hier helemaal niet. Waar is dat kind nou weer?*" She was mumbling while walking to the living room. "Joris, wa...oh."

It wasn't Joris she faced, it was Nathaniel who was sitting on the couch, next to his parents William and Margaret. Amelie parted her lips, and she awkwardly smiled. It was silence between them for a while. It is Sunday, and yet these people are wearing suits and dresses, Amelie thought, and here I am in a sports short and oversized tee.

"So...err..." Nathaniel began and cleared his throat. "Do you have time for a chat?"

No, but it looks like I have to make time. "Yeah, of course. Give me a sec, I will change," Amelie neutrally replied.

"It's fine," he said. "It's Sunday, and we are here unannounced." He was smiling, but swallowing hard when she saw the disapproving looks of his parents - which he was ignoring.

She nodded. "Err...do you want something to drink? Tea, coffee?"

"I would love a cup of tea, please," Margaret politely replied.

"A glass of water, please," William said.

Amelie nodded and looked at her dad. "Tea, but I will help you," he said and got up. He and Amelie walked to the kitchen, and Amelie filled the tea cooker. "How are you, Mil?" Nathaniel asked.

"I'm fine, a bit perplexed to have you here. How about you?" Amelie said and gave him a warm smile.

"I'm good," he nodded. "William and Margaret wanted to talk."

"Ow."

"It's not negative, just explaining things." He watched how she was preparing the drinks. "I told them how you think about the situation, but you know how they are." It was confronting, but also comforting to see that Amelie had found a home she felt loved in. This was her home.

Amelie tightened her jaw and made a ponytail in her hair. She was open to hearing their side of the story, but she wasn't waiting for it today. Why would they suddenly show up? For money or more insults? It was silence. Amelie grabbed a few biscuits and a tray. Nathaniel noticed she had changed into a cold person who was alert to the unexpected.

"Jackie is in Australia for Masterchef Australia, she, unfortunately, can't make it to the graduation. But she is proud of you, and gives you a lot of hugs and kisses," Nathaniel tried to break the silence.