𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐕

OPERATIONS

Darla stood with Steve as they watched the surgeons operate on Fury. Her hand was linked with Steve's as they anxiously watched. She hoped to God that Fury would be okay and make it out of the surgery alive.

She was so confused as to why the voices didn't tell her that he was going to get shot. But ever since she was reunited with Steve they had gone silent.

Her eyes flickered over to the red head who ran into the hospital. Her lips parted in shock as saw the operation taking place. Her heart was racing at the thought of losing the man.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha questioned fearfully.

"I don't know." Steve answered honestly.

"Tell me about the shooter." Requested Natasha.

"He was fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." Steve responded. His hand giving Darla's a reassuring squeeze.

"Ballistics?" Natasha questioned as Agent Hill showed up and stood beside the three.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Argent Hill answered.

"Soviet made." Natasha summed up.

"Yeah." Agent Hill nodded as the surgeons all rushed around Fury.

"What's happening?" Darla questioned anxiously as she watched the monitors. His pulse was weakening.

He was dying.

Tears streamed Darla's face as she watched the surgeons try to revive him twice and fail. She turned into Steve and buried her head in his chest. Steve cupped the back of the girls head and walked her away from the others.

"He's dead." She whispered in a state of shock. "He's dead." She repeated.

The doctors wheeled Fury out on a gurney and allowed the group to say goodbye. Darla stood beside the man, tears rolling down her face as Steve stood back, giving her the space she needed as he leant against the wall. Natasha was stood beside Steve, watching the younger girl.

"I need to take him." Agent Hill said as she walked up to her and Steve.

Steve walked towards Darla.

"Darla, they need to take him." Darla shook her head and walked out of the room, followed by Natasha. "Darla, Natasha."

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" Natasha questioned Steve.

Steve let out a heavy sigh.

"I don't know." He lied. He watched as Darla anxiously chewed on her bottom lip. Her eyes filled with tears.

"Cap, Dyer, they want you back at SHIELD." Rumlow said as he walked up to the pair.

"Yeah, give us a second." Steve nodded.

"They want you now." Insisted Rumlow.

"He said, give us a second." Shouted Darla as she clenched her fists. Rumlow nodded and walked away, not wanting to anger the girl. Steve noticed and linked his hands with the blondes, hoping to calm her.

"You're a terrible liar." Natasha uttered as she walked off.

Darla's eyes flickered to the vending machine, which was open. A smirk grew on her face.

"Give me the USB stick." She said, Steve nodded and handed it to her with no hesitation. She pulled Steve around the corner and away from prying eyes before she opened another vending machine and placed the USB stick inside. "Hidden in plain sight." She muttered.