𝐕.𝐈

STORIES

Darla let out a heavy sigh as she listened to the voice mail that her brother, Briar had left her. She always felt guilty whenever she heard his voice.

"Hey D, can you call me back please? It's been 6 months since anyone last heard from you." Darla heard as Briar's voice crack as he spoke, making her eyes fill with tears. "We're all worried about you. Mom barely leaves your room, dad doesn't work." He paused.

Darla's eyes flickered over to Steve, who had just come out of the shower. He dried his hair with his towel and walked over to her with a sympathetic smile. He could tell that she was missing her family.

"Cecilia graduated, we wished you could have been there. Tony showed up, he said he knew you were safe, which I guess is a bit for comfort." Briar half heartedly chuckled. "He gave Cecilia a car for graduating. Aspen just had a baby girl, she's called Isabel. She's just the cutest. I sent you a photo."

She heard Briar sniffle from the other side, making a few tears roll down her cheek. She was missing so much. Steve walked behind the girl and wrapped his arms around her waist. He rested his head on hers and swayed them slightly.

"Elio got his first girlfriend, he won't shut up about her." Briar chuckled. "He keeps saying how he wishes you could meet her. And well, now there's me. Not much has changed I got promoted to chief but that's about it. I don't want to make too many changes until you're back home."

Darla brought her thumb up to her lips to anxiously chew on her nails. She didn't want him to be holding back on her account.

"I don't even know if you're getting these, D, but if you are just let us know you're safe. Please. I'm begging you." Briar cried. "I love you, Darla, come home soon." With that, the call ended.

Like every other voicemail one of her family members had left her, she saved it. She didn't know when she could next hear their voices, so whenever she missed them she would play the voicemails.

"It was Briar." Darla whispered as she span around to face Steve. "He wants me to let him know I'm alive." She sighed and rested her head against his chest. "But I can't. Because if I message them, then I'm putting them in danger, and I can't do that."

Steve brought his hand up to cup the back of Darla's now brown hair. She dyed it in order to help herself hide better. He kind of missed her blonde hair and he knew that she did too. But they all made changes in order to hide.

"I know, Baby." Steve whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead. They had been together for five months now, and barely spent any time apart from one another.

"I'm doing the right thing aren't I, Cap?" Darla questioned, pulling away from the man and guiding him towards the bed so they could sit down.

It felt odd to hear her calling him 'Cap', it was a name that hadn't been used in a long time, ever since his fight with Tony.

"Yeah, and when it's safe for us and them, we will go over and see them straight away." He paused. "Together."

Darla smiled across to the boy, leaning across and placing a soft kiss on his lips before pulling away with a smile.

"You didn't shave." She tapped his stubble lightly.

"Thought I'd try something new." Steve shrugged. "God, you hate it don't you?"

Darla chuckled and shook her head, looking the man directly in the eyes.

"I love it. And I love you." She jumped up from her spot on the edge of the bed to get changed into something more comfortable so they could go to sleep.

She watched as she slipped out of her jeans and tank top, into one of his tops which was far too big for her. He let out a soft chuckle as it drowned her.

"I love you too." Steve said as he climbed into the bed, his arm extending out to her side so she could jump in.

As expected, Darla ran towards the bed and jumped into his arms. Steve instantly wrapped his arms around the girl and pulled the covers over them.

The brunette laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes, tracing patterns on his bicep.

"Tell me another story." She whispered, it was like a routine. Every night before they slept, Steve told her a story about the 1940's.

He had told her how him and Bucky became friends, about how Doctor Erskine changed his life, about how he saved Bucky. She loved all his stories.

"Another one?" Steve questioned looking down to her with a smile, he pulled up the top that she wore so that his fingers could trace patterns on the small of her back.

"Another one." Darla nodded, despite getting upset earlier with the voice mail that she had received from Briar, she still felt happy and safe in Steve's arms.

"Okay." Steve nodded and began to tell her the story about how he and Bucky had to ride on the back of a freezer truck to get home because they spent all their money on hot dogs and Bucky trying to win a stuffed bear for a red head that he wanted to impress.

Steve didn't realise, but somewhere along the story, Darla had fallen asleep in his arms. The only sound in the room were her soft snores. He let out a small chuckle before reaching across and turning out their bed side light.

"Goodnight, Baby." He whispered, kissing her temple and closing his eyes himself, allowing sleep to consume him.