4. The party

Olivia P.O.V.

I look in the mirror in the hallway. A blue dress that stops right above my knees. It's tight on the top and falls out from the waist and down. Black classy high heels and a little bag in white to keep my phone in. If only dresses had pockets though.

I look at myself in the mirror. I look kind of cute. It's Saturday and I'm going to Mia's party. It's been so long since I've been to a party and had the chance to dress up. I miss it.

I walk down the street to her house. She lives close to me something I am happy about. It saves me time and if I want to go home, I can just leave without thinking about how to get home or the distance. I walk by a park and some more houses before arriving at hers. I can hear the music even before I see the house. I walk into the house and the smell of sweat and alcohol fills my nose. I find the host of the party in the kitchen after walking around looking for her.

"Hi." She smiles at me and takes hold of my shoulder before looking me in the eyes. "Have an enjoyable time. It looks like you could need it." Then she walks away. I nod, more to myself, and walk further inside her house. I find Sophie in the garden outside by the pool.

"You look really good tonight. I thought you need to get out more. Have some fun. You seemed like the type of girl who likes to go out to parties." I smile, yeah, I used to go to parties all the time with my sister and we hosted a few ourselves.

"Yeah, I do, I was at a lot of parties before I moved too." She smiles, obviously not sober.

"You're pretty so I assume you were popular and had a boyfriend?" that caught me off guard. A burst of nervous laughter escaping my lips.

"Not really, I was only popular because of my sister. I didn't have a boyfriend. She was overprotective. She chased all the boys even before they got a chance to talk to me." Why do I keep dragging her up? What's wrong with me? Dammit.

"I didn't know you have a sister." She stops dancing and looks at me with curiosity.

"The keyword in that sentence is had, she died but I don't want to talk about it. Let's party!" I smile at her and get one back, she drags me back onto the dance floor. As we dance, I forget about everything else for a while. One guy comes up to me and drags me away from the crowd. He's good-looking thought.

He smiles at me. "Hi."

"Hi, want a drink?" he asks, and I nod. He takes a hold of my hand and guards me towards the kitchen. He makes me a drink and gives it to me. I gulp it down in one go. It stings in my throat from the strong alcohol, but I don't care. I smile at him. "It was good, make me another." He just smiles at me as he gives me another. I take the red cup in my hand and his hand in my other and walk away from the kitchen. I sit down on the sofa. There are a couple of people around, but I don't pay much attention to them.

We talk for a while about nothing in particular when a question comes to mind. "Do you know Mateo?" he looks at me a little startled before taking a deep breath. "No, no one knows him. He never lets anyone close so it's kind of hard to know him. You like him."

I almost choke on my drink, he pats my back and I couch a lot before realizing he asked a question. "No, quite the opposite. I don't like his vibe if that makes any sense? He's just so cold-hearted. He talked to me once or twice, I think. Not my guy."

The guy opposite m smiles and he puts a hand on my chin and leans in. I don't do anything to stop him as he kisses me softly, then more passionate, and forceful. The alcohol in my body keeps me from pushing away. My barrier is completely down at this time.

We get interrupted when another guy pulls him away from me. "I'm sorry I just need to borrow him for a minute." He says and the guy I just hooked up with just shrugs his shoulders before disappearing into the crowd. I stand up, about to walk towards the kitchen when I bump into a girl spilling her drink all over her.

"I am so sorry." I look at her, her eyes pierce mine with anger. God, why can't my life be easy for once? "Oh, if it isn't the thief. Do you think you can steal Mateo away from me? I have been trying to get him since he started, and no one is getting in my way." She gives me a cold shoulder while walking away. God, I hate high school. And it's not my fault he came to me.

I talk to some more people before I start feeling dizzy. I know I have not had enough alcohol for me to feel like this. I can feel someone staring at me from behind. You know the feeling. When I turn around, I see Mateo in the crowd. "You okay?" I turn back to see Mia. She comes closer and looks worried at me. "I just think I'll head home. Thanks for the party, I mean it." I look behind me, but Mateo is nowhere to be seen.

I stumble outside and the chilly night air feels good on my skin. I get dizzier and dizzier as I walk towards my house. I know it's not that far but now I just know it's too far.

In the streets, on my way home I check the clock and it reads 2 AM. I walk slow and I stumble like I'm drunk, however, I know that I didn't drink enough to feel like this. I hold on to a fence to the park to steady myself. I look up and see Mateo talking to someone. I feel the alcohol leaving my body as my adrenalin kicks in.

I'm too curious to just walk away, so dumb as it may sound, I walk closer, carefully not to get caught. I hide behind a bush and listen carefully.

"What are you doing?!" the man is yelling at Mateo and hits him in the face. Mateo doesn't move. My curiosity is just getting higher and higher. The man is in his late twenties by the looks of it. He's angry at Mateo for something I don't quite understand. "You need to keep a low profile. I said no school. It's too dangerous you don't understand you're just a kid. You must understand. Don't get any attention." He seems calmer now.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it. There is just something about her that I can't put my finger on. But I took care of it the other day, don't worry."

"I don't want to hear it." He cuts Mateo off in a harsh tone. "You know you could come home sometimes, right?" his voice is now filled with sadness. Talk about mood swings. What is the relation between them? And why meeting him here in an old abandon park? I'm sure it has just been standing here not being used for over three years now. It's at least what it looks like.

"I know, but it's far and that sort of thing is exactly what draws attention to me." I take a step closer, but the man sees me and walks past Mateo. At that exact moment, I knew I was screwed.