20. Busted

Mateo's P.O.V.

I sneak into her bedroom. She is currently sitting in front of her laptop, playing some calm music. Such a girly thing to do, I think. The way she just sits there all carefree of the danger she's in.

"Hey," I say as soon as I place my feet on the floor. My voice is light and full of joy. I can't help being happy whenever I am around her. She however never saw me coming, and therefore let out a terrified squeak and fall of her chair dragging her computer down with her. I stifle the urge to burst out laughing at her reaction. She's way too easy to scare. She quickly examines her computer to be sure it didn't break.

"Sorry I scared you. Everything, all right?" I look at her carefully, not wanting to scare her any further. Even though her reaction was hilarious, I don't like seeing her so afraid. The look on her face making me sad I had that effect on her as well as thinking it looked hilarious.

"Why do you always have to scare me. Stop coming out of nowhere that would be nice, thank you." Her voice dripping with sarcasm, knowing I got her mad. Jeez Mateo, great job. She gets up placing her computer on the table as well as pulling up the chair that also fell over as she jumped on the floor. She sits down in it.

"How did you even get in?" she asks as she spins around in her chair looking at me. I sit down on the edge of her bed.

"I came in through the window, and I know how to be fast and silent," I smirk at her, knowing my words get to her. I let myself fall back against her soft bed, relaxing. Her room expressing her personality I feel so comfortable there's no problem relaxing. "Why can't you just knock like normal people?" she asks, the question making me quite sad. As much as I want to be normal, I don't even try to be. Mostly because I know I'll never be normal. There is no way for a demon to become human. Therefore, I see no point in trying only to disappoint myself.

"Normal is boring, besides I'm not normal." I smile at my remark. She knows that I'm not normal, or human for that matter. I try to contain my laughter yet again finding the situation funny. This time giving in and laughing. I can feel her eyes watching my every move from where she's sitting in the chair. I stop when I realize she's not laughing. Not even smiling. She stands up walking over to the window pushing the curtains aside. I squint my eyes at the bright light. Aww, I liked how it was dark in the room, jeez. She leans on her hands as her elbows are firmly planted on the window still. Deciding that for once she's getting to keep her thoughts to herself, I ignore the impulse of reading her thoughts which I now don't have any clue on.

"What happens with you in the winter?" her question caught me off guard as she turns around to face me. I drag myself up in a half-sitting position leaning backward on my hands which are placed behind me on the bed.

"With me? Are you worried?" I put on a cocky grin just to let her on for a minute. That she seems to care warms my heart. Without the intention of listening in on her thoughts, one seems to find its way into my mind anyway.

I could picture myself falling for him, rather hard too.

"What if I am? Would that be such a terrible thing?" her voice now sounding serious making me drop my ack, if not completely, then almost.

"Maybe not," I admit, keeping her gaze at me as we lock eyes. I get up from the bed walking up to stand beside her. I can see her small shivering. She's cold.

"Nothing special, except dying. Demons being creatures of hell needing warmth to survive. Warmer than humans at least. If we dress correctly and making sure not the body temperature drops too much, we're good." I lean on the window still just as she's doing. I look out at what could be a warm day, tricking you too not to dress in warm clothing. The sun making it seem warm even when it isn't.

"Don't say we." She says shortly.

She turns away from the window, before she has any time to walk away from the conversation, I put words to my thoughts. Why does it matter so much to her anyway? She knows very well what I am. A disgusting demon but I'm still me, nonetheless.

"What is it? It doesn't seem like you like the thought of me being different. That I'm a demon and talk about them like I'm one of them. How could I not when I am?" I manage to keep my voice calm. However, I can see the anger rising in her. She turns to look at me.

"It's because I don't! I don't think of you as one of them, but it's gotten quite hard to obtain that thought when you always refer to them as we! Always reminding me of who you are, even though I'd rather forget it!" She yells at me. Now I'm getting frustrated not knowing where she's getting with this.

I look her in the eyes, seeing she means it and I'm hurt. I didn't think that me being a demon bothered her that much. It bothers me too, however, I've learned that I can't keep thinking and caring about things that are never going to change so I've almost accepted it.

"Why? Why does it have to mean so much to you?" I ask my voice miraculously still calm, even though I can feel the anger building up on the inside.

"Because I'm catching feelings and the thought of you being a demon makes this so hard!" she points her finger at me before running out the door. My anger disappearing in an instant. She has feelings for me.