8. Hospital

Olivia P.O.V.

"Olivia? Can you hear me?" I open my eyes to a voice calling my name. I can't seem to place the voice to a person. When I open my eyes, I see mom calling my name. The light is blinding me, so I close my eyes again. "Olivia? You're awake?" she stands up and strokes my hair. I try to open my eyes once more and blink a couple of times before looking back at her. Her eyes are red, probably from all the crying.

"Hi, mom." My voice is so low that I don't think she heard it. I look around, now that my eyes have adjusted to the light I can see clearly. I'm at the hospital. I got a room, it's small. There is this bed I'm in, a little table beside, and this pole with wires into me. On the other side, there is this machine beeping to the sound of my heart. There is a small closet here, I guess my things are in there. I look over to the door. The door is open, and Mateo is standing in the doorway. When I meet his eyes, he looks away. He is leaning against the door frame. When he notices that I'm still staring at him blankly trying to grasp what had happened. Before I even get the chance to call out to him, he is gone.

"Sweetie? What are you looking at?" my mom looks towards the door, but he's no longer there. "Just relax, you're safe here. I promise." I notice how my body is tense and relax and lay back down in the bed.

I think about Mateo and some images start to run in my head. The big empty room with no windows, the creepy man. How it was so hard to breathe. The serum. Wait, the hospital might know something about that. They would probably talk to me if something were still wrong. Even if I were dying still. "Take it easy, everything is going to be alright." My mom strokes my head several times. I'm feeling fine, really but I know that she needs to say them more than I need to hear them.

When a doctor comes into the room, she looks confused. Probably at why I am awake.

"You have some poison still in your blood, but the antibiotics we have given you had helped so it's not life-threatening. We have no idea what type of poison it is, however. I've never seen anything like it. You're lucky that the boy found you in the woods, the poison is deadly but easy to get rid of we figured out. In the beginning, you got help breathing. It looked like you were having an asthma attack when you got here. After some hours you managed to breathe normally, then after about a day, you woke up. I would like to take some more blood tests before you go home. I would say about a day. There is a police officer outside, you were kidnapped so we thought you might appreciate that. We don't know who kidnapped you, but the police are on the case and ready to take your statement when you are out of here." I nod and she walks out of the room.

The word kidnapped is still left in my mind. That was what it all began with, but I don't see it as kidnapping anymore. I was a lab rat for some crazy experiment. I just hope Mateo will give me the answer. So far, I don't think it worked. Hopefully, it didn't do anything but I'm not so naïve to think that all will be okay after this. Far from it.

My mom takes my hand, but I can't stop thinking about what happened. It all plays in a loop inside my head. I must talk to Mateo, he is the only one who can give me answers at this point. I look at my mom. "Could you call Mateo for me? I need to talk to him. He goes in my class." She nods and finds her phone. She goes out in the hallway, and I hear her start talking.

I think she will get a problem getting his number. I think Mateo wants me to know. He owes me at least that much. I fall asleep at some point. It's a night of dreamless sleep. When I wake up again, it's dark outside.

«Finally, you woke up." I look to my right and see Mateo sitting in the chair. I move a little away from him. He scares me. "I see you're afraid of me. That's a good thing. Now, what was so important that I had to get here? Your mom is worried about you and trust me when I told her I needed to talk to you alone it wasn't an easy task now spit it out."