27. Disaster

Olivia P.O.V.

Falling flat on my stomach with my face on the ground. Fantastic landing must if I could say so myself. Then the feeling of fire on my skin takes a hold of my thoughts. I'm lying in the sun. I quickly run into the shadow of a tree. That hurt like a bitch, much more than I thought it would. It still stings when I'm in the shadows, but much better. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Mateo jumps out of the portal, landing elegantly on his two feet. A small grunt escaping his lips, I'm assuming is because of the pain hitting the ground with a bullet wound. Which I still don't know where is.

"Olivia?" he looks around like a lost puppy, making me smile. "Here." I slip my hand out from behind the tree but quickly retrieves it because of the stinging of the sun. Hearing his footsteps coming closer, indicating that he saw my hand or just simply followed the direction of my voice.

"Hurts like a bitch?" he says with a deadly serious voice, but I can see a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. Mateo's always being so difficult to read...

"Yeah, like my body is on fire or something. Still hurts here, but it's much better. You could've told me it would be that bad." I complain, only for him to give in letting a chuckle escape his lips. Dammit. It hurt to think that I won't ever be able to enjoy the sun like I've been doing before. I don't think I'll ever adjust completely to this kind of life. Like ever.

"I did in fact tell you about it. That it would hurt." I look down at my feet. "Will it always hurt that much?"

"No, it's just because of your new transformation that your body isn't used to it yet. Give it some time but have in mind that the sun will never feel like it used to. Right now, all of your senses are heightened. It will cool down after a couple of days, I think. You're a special case so I don't exactly know. The light itself it's not what hurts you, it's the UV radiation. That's why it still hurts in the shadows, it's simply better." This is it, I'm officially giving up on returning to normal. If I keep my expectations low, then I won't be disappointed. That's what my sister always told me.

"Can I ever go skiing again?" I ask since I love going up to the mountains to go downhill skiing. "Yes, but keep in mind that the cold will feel even colder now. Your skin especially is overly sensitive about temperature changes, so be aware and get dressed well. We'll talk more about it when the time comes. One day at a time." He reassures me. "Can we just go home?" he nods, and we start walking along the woods to keep in the shadows for as long as possible.

As we silently walk, he stops in front of the line where the shadow stops, and the sun begins. "This is as far as we can get in the shadows. It might be a very promising idea to tell your mom that you're sick or something so your body can adapt and all."

"Could you come with me?" I ask and a smirk is slowly showing on his face. I roll my eyes at his reaction. "Though you hated me?" he asks teasingly. "I never said I hated you. I just didn't like you much. It was more about you being a demon and that I hated that, and you always talked about it like it was no big deal. Because as you'd probably figured by now, I hate demons." I say and he stays quiet for a moment before his face darkens.

"So now you hate yourself because you're a demon now? Or do you hate me because it's my fault for giving you my blood and dragging you into all of this?"

To be honest I don't know what to say back. I don't hate him, that I know, but I hate demons and I'm a demon so yes, I do hate myself but... I don't know.

Being unable to answer his question I turn on my heel walking into the sun feeling the burning sensation crawling on my skin. Hearing Mateo catching up to me grabbing my arm, making us stop in the sun.