13. What happened?

Olivia P.O.V.

When I open my eyes, I see Mateo. He's carrying me. Got I hope I'm not too heavy.

"Where are we going?" I'm trying to move my head to see where we are, but he stops me. "Look at me, just relax I've got you." His eyes tell me nothing more than what I need to know right now. He got me and I'm safe. My eyelids get heavier as I slip back into unconsciousness.

"Olivia!? Can you hear me?" a voice that I recognize reaches my ears. It's loud and jolts me awake. It's my mom I think and open my eyes. I look around the room. I'm back home, in my cozy bed. My mom looks at me, worry written all over her face.

"You are so lucky, do you know that? The same guy found you this time too. Just in time. He carried you all the way home from the woods." She looks at me wide-eyed like she almost can't believe that I'm back home, after my second accident or whatever I'm going to call it. "His name is Mateo. He is in my class." My voice is low and groggy. "Do you want something to eat?" I shake my head, the experience gave me chills. "You have to eat something, you haven't eaten all day."

"I'll eat in the morning." I go back to sleep because I know that's the only thing I need right now. I don't understand it though. Why do I get so tired all the time? She leaves my room and I fall asleep not even knowing what happened back in the woods.

"Olivia? Do you want something before I go?" I sit up and look at my clock. Shit! I'm late!

"Mom! Why didn't you wake me up?" I rush into some clothes and run downstairs. "Well, I thought you might need the rest, so I just let you sleep for today." I sight and run out of the house towards the school. I might make it. I need to talk to Mateo, that's the only reason I'm going to school today. I sit beside Mateo, and he looks at me annoyed written all over. "I told your mother that it would be smart to leave you sleeping today. What are you doing here?" He's annoyed because I went to school? Dammit Mateo, can't you see I need this?

"I need to talk to you. About yesterday?" I turn towards him. I need answers, now. "I know all about it, I was there." Why am I not shocked, well I saw him but whenever something happens to me, he is always there. He's like a hero in my mom's eyes.

"Mateo?" the teacher looks at us. Shit! I kind of forgot that I was at school. "I would appreciate it if you could take it up after class." The teacher goes back to teaching the class and Mateo doesn't say another word for the rest of the class. When the bell rings he holds me back. "I know all about what happened because I was there, luckily this time. But what if I weren't?" He looks at me, worried. "You could just have stayed with me the day before, and everything would have been just fine."

"You know, that's not a bad idea." He looks deep in thought for a second before grinning at me.

"Besides, you're cute when you're asleep." Then suddenly, he gets all serious.

"I just didn't want you to wake up. Anyway, you're better off without me. I'm dangerous as you know. But still, I can't just stay away from you either, because you are in danger no, with or without me." His voice is calm, but he has this troubled expression on his face. I punch him lightly in the shoulder to get his attention.

"Maybe you're right, that I'm better off without you I mean. But I'm getting to know you and I don't want to be without it. The kidnapping and everything has shown me the real you, and even though it still scares me a little. That it's kind of was your fault. I wouldn't want it any other way." He doesn't answer me. His expression is completely blank. He is probably thinking about it and everything. He knows more about this than I do anyway. I have accomplished what I came here for, and now I'll just go home. Unbelievably, I'm tired. Again.

I turn my back to Mateo and walk out of the school building and across the schoolyard. Mateo is suddenly in front of me, making me stop. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going home. I got what I came for. An answer and now I'm going home." I walk past him and continue towards the gate. I can hear his footsteps following behind me. "Mateo? What are you doing?" I stop and turn towards him. Sometimes he is just getting on my nerves. I can hear the annoyance in my voice. "I won't let you be alone, not after yesterday. You got me seriously concerned." I nod and we walk home together.

Even though we don't talk, I don't feel the need to fill in the silence. I walk up into my room and take off the bandage I put on after yesterday, examining the wound.

"Mateo? Exactly what attacked me?" I turn from my mirror to look at him. He on the other hand is facing the window, looking out at the parking lot.

"It was a demon, searching for human blood. Some demons use it to gain power for a certain amount of time. It's not efficient. You lose more from it than you win. I mean yeah you get stronger, but it drains too. Demons not being used to human blood, and to absorb the power, as well as the time and effort to hide or dispose of the body."

He turns to me. Not really looking at me, he leans against the window frame crossing his arms over his chest looking down at his feet. Sounding like he has a lot of experience in doing exactly that. I walk up to him, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Whatever it is that you did or didn't do, it's in the past. Don't use time and energy concerning and thinking about it now. You can't do anything about it anyway." He looks up at me. His eyes not reaching my eyes but stopping at my neck. His eyes widening. It's like he has just seen a ghost. The blood completely draining from his face.

"It's this bad?! Why didn't you tell me?" He takes his hand forcing my face up and to the side in a demanding but gentle way. I can feel his fingers stroking my neck gently. It stings when he comes near the wound, and I flinch. "I'm sorry." He says quickly.

"No, I'm sorry, I didn't do anything to it yesterday. Is it infected?" my curiosity taking over from the fact that this might be a bigger deal than I first let upon myself.

"Yes, and it's pretty deep. I couldn't take a close look yesterday. Your mom was going crazy about you and just took you out of my arms and closed the door in my face. She was out of her mind when she saw you in my arms, you were pale and looked like you might have been dead." He lets out a sigh before continuing.

"I should have done something." I find it cute how he blames himself for this, but I know what guilt can do to a person, and there is no chance that I'll let him go through that.

"It wasn't your fault. You saved me, and that's all I could ever ask of." I shake myself out of his grip. "It is my fault. If I just would have stayed away from you from the start. Then you would never have been kidnapped or dragged into this world covered with blood and death. You're just human." His expression falls, he looks deep in thought once again. He's hurt, deep down, probably all the way through. This can't just be because of what happened to me because of him. There must be something more, something he won't tell me. Not yet at least.

"Just let me help you." He looks at me tenderly. "You don't have to, Mateo. I'm fine." I'm lying, definitely, but it's for his own good. He doesn't need to know everything. I'm terrified of what's happening, and what will happen to me. To be honest, I've no idea of what's going on.

"You don't have to lie to me, you know?"

By the sound of his voice to judge, I can tell that he's hurt. "I'm sorry." I'm short on words, my mind is working like crazy to get me to understand what's going on. To grasp the events of last night and wondering what he is keeping hidden from me. I may not be a hundred percent comfortable in Mateo's presence, but he somehow also makes me feel safe and appreciated. I don't want him to be sad or hurt. Especially not by me. He still frightens me a little, but it gets better every day.

"Can you just go? I need to be alone." I can hear him taking a deep breath like he wants to say something, but he just breathes out and I hear the door close behind him. Now it's just me and my thoughts.