15. Thoughts... *part 2*

Mateo P.O.V.

In math the next day, she suddenly walks in. The teacher looks at her with an annoyed glance. He hates when the students are late. She walks towards me and dumps down on the chair beside me. "I need to talk to you. About yesterday?" She turns to me. "I know all about it, I was there."

"Mateo?" The teacher looks at us. I let out a sigh and look at the teacher. "I would appreciate it if you could take it up after class." He goes back to teaching the class and I don't say anything for the rest of the class. When the bell rings I turn to Olivia. I take her hand, stopping her from leaving the classroom among all the other students.

"I know all about what happened because I was there, luckily this time. But what if I weren't?" I look at her worriedly. She has no idea of what kind of danger she was in. If I wouldn't have come in time, she would've been dead for sure.

"You could just have stayed with me the day before, and everything would have been just fine." She wanted me to stay? She caught me by surprise. I didn't know that. Is she joking? Ahh, why do girls have to be so hard to understand? I don't get the point.

"You know, that's not a bad idea." I pretend that I'm thinking hard about something to let her on for a minute.

"Besides, you're cute when you are asleep." I smile it off, I don't want her to know my true feelings yet. She has a lot on her mind as it is. But the joke is over, we are in real trouble if she can't get it together. I need her to defeat Alex. I just need the plan to be as good as possible, making sure she doesn't get hurt. I would never forgive myself.

"I just didn't want you to wake up. Anyway, you're better off without me. I'm dangerous as you know. But still, I can't just stay away from you either, because you are in danger now, with or without me." I stay calmer than I feel. My feelings are all over the place. I need to keep it together. She punches me lightly in the shoulder, turning my focus back at her.

"Maybe you're right, that I'm better off without you I mean. But I'm getting to know you and I don't want to be without you. The kidnapping and everything has shown me the real you and even though it still scares me a little. That it's kind of was your fault. I wouldn't want it any other way." I have no answer to the question, I'm speechless. She caught me off guard. I didn't know anyone could do that anymore.

She stands up and walks away. Wait? Where's she going, I need to keep her safe I won't make the same mistake as I did last time. I stop her by blocking her way. "What are you doing?" She looks kind of annoyed at me.

"I'm going home. I got what I came for. An answer, and now I'm going home." She walks past me, and I stand there for a second, processing the words that she just slammed in my face. Why is she so angry? I walk behind her, letting her go home.

"Mateo? What are you doing?" She stops and turns around looking me in the eyes. I won't leave her until I know that she's safe. That's what I'm doing. She even sounds annoyed. I'm sorry Oliva, but I feel like I must do this.

"I won't let you be alone, not after yesterday. You got me seriously concerned." She nods and allows me to follow her home and into the house.

I envy her life. She has a loving family. I would almost give everything to get that. She stands in front of the mirror, and I hear a band-aid being ripped off. I stand, leaning against the window looking out on the parking lot.

"Mateo? What attacked me?" I don't move from my position, watching the city and the parking lot. Her mom isn't coming home any time soon I realize.

"It was a demon, searching for human blood. Some demons use it to gain power for a certain amount of time. It's not efficient. You lose more from it than you win. I mean yeah you get stronger, but it drains too. Demons not being used to human blood, and to absorb the power, as well as the time and effort to hide or dispose of the body." Memories of how it was when I was told to clean up after a murder, the cleaning of the blood, and taking care of the disposing of the body. All the unusual ways to do it. Jeez, what a nightmare. I'm happy that I hopefully don't have to do that ever again. I don't enjoy killing, nor torturing. It was something I had to do.

I turn to her, not looking directly at her. Just leaning against the window frame and crossing my arms over my chest looking down at my two feet. She knows what I did. I'm ashamed of it, and I hate myself for, ever doing it. At the same time, I try to tell myself I didn't have any other choice. I get dragged out of my thoughts when I feel her hand on my shoulder.

"Whatever it is that you did or didn't do, it's in the past. Don't use time and energy concerning and thinking about it now. You can't do anything about it anyway." I look up at her, surprised. I didn't think she would say that. My eyes stop at her neck. Wait? Shouldn't that be looking better? Dammit, I shouldn't have left her in her mother's care. I feel the blood draining from my face.

"It's this bad?! Why didn't you tell me?" I take my hand reaching for her chin tilting her head slightly up and to the side so I can get a better look. I make sure to not grip her too hard, I don't want to frighten her. I take my other hand stroking the skin carefully, she flinches when I touch her wound. It probably hurt.

"I'm sorry." I feel guilt clutching in my chest. I made her feel pain.

"No, I'm sorry, I didn't do anything to it yesterday. Is it infected?" I smile to myself, she is too curious for her own good. She somewhat looks worried too, like she never imagined it ever being a big deal.

"Yes, and it's pretty deep. I couldn't take a close look yesterday. Your mom was going crazy about you and just took you out of my arms and closed the door in my face. She was out of her mind when she saw you in my arms, you were pale and looked like you might have been dead." I let a sigh escape my lips before I take a breath continuing.

"I should have done something." How could I let this happen? I ask myself.

"It wasn't your fault. You saved me, and that's all I could ever ask of." She shakes out of my grip on her chin.

"It is my fault. If I just would have stayed away from you from the start. Then you would never have been kidnapped or dragged into this world covered with blood and death. You're just human." My ballade falls to the ground leaving my emotions running wild. Why am I like this? I know her sister was killed, Alex was so sure the experiment was going to work, and when it didn't... he tore her apart, and I was left to dispose of the body. She was a human, so I had to let the police find her. I investigated her family, that's when I found Olivia. I was curious about how her life was after the incident, that's why I wanted to know her, and the reason she got dragged into all of this.

"Just let me help you." I look at her, begging her to let me be there for her because I know she needs someone. "You don't have to, Mateo. I'm fine." She's lying, her heart skipped a beat, and she is avoiding looking me in the eyes. Why is she lying to me?

"You don't have to lie to me, you know?"

"I'm sorry." She doesn't seem to say anything else. To be honest, I'm worried about her. She's so fragile. I don't know if it's me, or the kidnapping, or the incident from yesterday. Maybe all of the above, and I just want to be there for her. I don't understand why she doesn't want to trust me when I have given her all the right to after I helped her escape.

I concentrate on her mind, wanting to pick up something that can guide me. One of her thoughts is loud in my mind.

I don't dislike him as much as before, but he scares me. Even after all he's done, I can't shake the feeling he's lying to me. But I also feel attached. Like I can't get away?

The thought hurts me, more than I'd like to admit to myself. I brush it away, refusing to think about it. I shouldn't have read her mind. It's personal and I have no right to do so.

"Can you just go? I need to be alone." I take a deep breath, I don't want to leave her alone right now. I take a deep breath, to tell her that I'm not leaving her vulnerable. I breathe out deciding it's better to keep my mouth shut for now. I walk out the door for the first time since I got to know her, and when I look back at her she's still standing there, lost in thoughts. I close the door behind me and walk out of the house. I'll start planning what I'm going to do against Alex. I need to deactivate his powers to be able to take him down.