24. What did you do?

Olivia P.O.V

Mateo?! I quickly check for a pulse, and I find a weak one. I look him over.

Some big slashing wounds on his upper body, one of his arms is surely dislocated. His right leg seems to have been crushed and is now covered in blood. His face seems somewhat untouched except a forming blue eye, probably from a punch. There is some blood on his face, but no wounds so they either healed already or the blood is from his other wound or maybe the opponent. Oh god, I somewhat hope that the opponent looks worse, but I doubt that.

"Mateo?" I shake him lightly, wanting him to wake up so he doesn't look as dead. "Wake up, Mateo." My voice is low and raspy, probably from the lack of nutrition in the last few days. To top it off I lent Mateo some of my energy the other day too, and I was kidnapped. Again. My condition could be worse but I'm trying not to think about "worse" and rather what I can do about it now. Tears falling down my face since I have no idea where to even begin to fix the mess I'm currently in. I don't even know if Mateo's going to survive.

"Don't cry. Everything will be okay. I'll heal. I'll survive, you have to survive too." His voice is crooked and low, but I heard him. I frantically look at his face to have him already staring at me. He reaches for my face with one of his hands, wiping my tears away. "It's going to be okay."

He smiles, but he winches in pain. "You're stupid, do you know that? Just look at yourself. You can barely breathe, probably soon going to bleed to death. How is that okay? Besides, we don't have that much time because I'll die too."

My voice breaks. Gosh as much as I don't want to admit it... I'm terrified. I thought we were long past all of this. That everything was going to turn out simply fine from now on out.

His face darkens at my words, probably realizing that I'll not be so fine in a couple of hours. I don't even know how long I've been out for so I don't know how long I have before my body will begin to shut down. He bites his wrist and brings it to me. "Drink it." I look at him wide-eyed, shaking my head. "I can't. You need it more than I do."

"You have to." His voice is serious, but I can't seem to get the rush. I feel fine, for now anyway. He looks at me with begging eyes before he diverts his eyes at the ground. "Whoa..." he holds his hand out. I don't even get to grasp what's going on before he passes out cold on the floor. He looks dead... I check his pulse to be sure and let out a relieved breath when I find it. slow, but steady. I crawl up near Mateo and listen to his low steady breath as I slowly drift into a dreamless sleep.

I jolt awake coughing my lungs out. Barely being able to breathe in between the coughs. I hear Mateo waking up and sitting up beside me, but I'm having too much trouble breathing to focus on that right now. As the coughing goes away, I'm now gasping for longing air. I look at Mateo, who has a worried expression on his face.

"It's beginning." He states like I didn't know that already. I shot him an annoyed glare, even though I know that this isn't his fault. I'm just pissed at everything. "Let me help you." He begs but I once again shake my head. "You need more help than I do. I'll drink it when I know you'll..." my sentence is cut short when it feels like someone is stepping on my chest stopping me from breathing. I gasp for air but to no avail. I fall to the floor helplessly.

Waking up a metallic taste fills my mouth. Opening my eyes, I watch as Mateo is looking down at me, his wrist at my mouth. I shove his arm away angrily. "What the hell are you doing?" my voice comes out as a whisper. My throat is so dry, geez someone gives me a bottle of water. "You were dying!" he yells at me. As he falls groaning in pain. What the heck?! I sit up suddenly making me a little dizzy, but I shove it away looking at Mateo instead.

"What can I do?" I ask leaning over him looking for, I don't know. Anything that I know I can do anything about. however, it's too late. He has already slipped back into unconsciousness.

Gazing at him, and his wounds that are still bleeding, something comes to mind. I rip off some of my shirt tying it tight around the leg that's crushed. I ignore his arms seeing as it's going to wake him and being incredibly painful to fix. Instead, I put some pressure on the biggest gash on his upper body. Gaining no response whatsoever. Making me slightly more worried than I already was. Doing my best to keep him alive even though I know it probably won't make any difference.

"It's cute how you both are so desperate to save one another." A low chuckle comes from behind me, and I whirl around. Watching as Alex steps into the light a couple of feet away from me. The only light source in the big cellar room. Geez, I hate that man. "What do you want?" I spit out, some strength regaining, probably from the anger and some adrenaline.

"You won't be needing him much longer. You could be free to do whatever you'd like." He tells me, and I look at him. Not sure what he's saying.

"You've been drinking his blood on several occasions. How many more times do you think it takes for your body to start producing it on its own, huh? The serum I gave you is making your body adaptive to sudden changes, such as this." He looks around as to referring to the in-between.

"I can never be sure until I see it, but I think that finally one of my projects works, except Mateo's that is." My jaw drops. You got to be kidding me. Really! This is what the word had planned out for me all along? "What makes you think it worked? Your little experiment I mean?" calming down, figuring out I might get some answers.

"Come with me." He gestures with his hand for me to follow him, and I stand up. Carefully walking behind, him, making sure to keep a certain distance. If I somehow end up anything like him or something like Mateo, I'm done. I'll lose myself and everything I ever believed in. some will hunt me, wanting to claim me a trophy, others may want me dead.

He stops at the lab where I first was injected in. He brings an empty needle and walks over to me. I take a step back. Some men grab my arms and I fight them, but it's no use as he comes over to me and draws a tube of blood, giving it to a scientist. Falling helplessly to the floor I wait for the results. How my life has turned upside down in the past months.