31. The end

Mateo P.O.V.

I walk away from the portal, leaving her there after helping her back. She didn't want my hoodie, but I knew she needed it more than I do. The earth is cold and she's all alone now. She didn't seem happy to be with me either. She seemed cold even after she put on my hoodie. I leave without a word, I certainly don't need to hear her tell me how much she hates me. I get back to my house, which feels empty without her there. Going to sleep I think about how I can make it up to Olivia tomorrow.

Waking up, my mind is clear. I've decided to call her, hoping to get her to meet me so that I can explain everything to her. I call her a total of eleven times, none of which she cared to answer me. I know she's away because it's past midday and she doesn't sleep that long. Not after the rough day we had. Her mind won't allow it.

I walk back downstairs and fill up a cup of water, downing it on one big gulp. I nearly leap over my phone when I hear it ringing. A smile makes its way on my face when I see her name pop up on my phone. I immediately answer.

"I'm so sorry about what happened, and I'm willing to do anything-" she cuts me off.

"Mateo, I don't know what's wrong with me." her voice is tired, and I can already tell that she's crying. I instantly worry. "I'm on my way," I mumble before hanging up on her and rushing over towards her house.

I run at full speed reaching the house in record time, remembering that she was cold yesterday has a worried knot forming in the pit of my stomach. I burst through the door, running towards her room, but she isn't there. I eventually find her in her parent's room, curled up on the bed. I'm instantly at her side.

Her forehead is laced in sweat and she's shaking. I immediately know what it is. She's dying. I think it's a combination of the cold and her finishing her transformation. Her body's not able to take it, so I do the only thing that I can think of. I slit my wrist open, sitting behind her and placing my bleeding wrist on her mouth. Forcing her to drink it.

I'm immortal so I don't have to worry about me bleeding out. Her eyes flutter within a minute, and she grabs my wrist closer towards her mouth like she's craving it. I feel myself relaxing. She's going to be fine.

When she fully comes to, she jumps away from me, and I press my palm against the open wound staring blankly at her.

"What the hell!?" she exclaims staring wide-eyed at me. "Why the hell did you do that?" she wipes her mouth of the blood that was spilled around her mouth. She seems calmer thought, and I let myself feel relieved.

"You called, and I managed to get here in time. Your body was weak from fully transforming and you got severely affected by the cold, probably on your way home last night." I keep my voice void of any emotion. Maybe it'll just be better if I disappeared from her life. She nods in appreciation, and I stand up.

«Do you forgive me? I only acted that way because I care about you. A little too much." She nods a smile playing at her lips. "Images flashed through my mind, I understand." I nod, walking over and drying the bloodied knife before placing it back down. I turn back towards her, giving a short nod before walking towards the door.

"I better get going."

"Don't go, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it I was just overwhelmed." She's at her breaking point. I can hear it in her voice as it breaks. "I know I said I cared about you. And I really do. It's just that you'll only be in danger with me, and I'm afraid that it's one day going to end up with you dead." I walk out the door without another word. Hearing her break into sobs as I leave her there all alone is the hardest thing I'll ever do.

I've lived my entire life without being taken care of, all alone by myself. I'll manage. In a couple of hundred years, she will be no more than a memory in my head. I know she'll be fine without me because she was fine before she even met me.

Her heart and soul will heal over time because I know for as long as I'm with her, I'll only bring her pain. I'm the source of all her suffering, and it'll end when I'm gone. I want her to be happy, and her best chance at happiness is when she's far away from me. She's strong and that's how I know that she'll manage. You either die a hero, which I know she'll do, or you live long enough to become the villain. I guess I already am the villain of her story. That's all in the past now. This may someday become a wonderful story, which didn't end how everyone thought it would, but people say that monsters don't exist. Only, this isn't a story. It's my life and hers. I've come to realize that I've become the monster I feared all these years that I would become. I broke her, telling myself it was for the best.

A/N

This was the end for now. I am thinking about writing a second story, continuing around 10-20 years from this point. Yes or no?

- Zwicky