30. Betrayal

Olivia P.O.V.

I wake up in an unfamiliar bed. "Mateo?" he's not here and I instantly panic. He went alone. "What the hell is he thinking?" I mumble as I run out of the house. I have no idea where to run, but I figure that he wouldn't risk putting others in danger and tun out of town. At least that's where I think I'm running. Hearing someone scream I assume I'm headed in the right direction.

Finally arriving at the scene, I see monster Mateo hit Alex, who looks weaker. He actually did it. the idiot beat the shithead alone. A thought strikes me, he agreed that we were in this together, yet he left me alone to fight on his own, risking not his own life but everyone else's. Because if he lost, Alex would've won, and he would take over hell. I feel betrayed by the one person I trusted the most.

I watch as they become smaller, and I look at my hands. I'm turning into Mateo. I shrug it off, deciding to think about it later when I'm not facing bigger problems. I'm almost as tall and big as he is, making the others look small.

"How could you do this without me?! I finally thought you had managed to understand how I feel, but you haven't!?" I scream, not once forgetting my anger and betrayal.

"I'm sorry, but it was the only way for you to not get hurt." Yet again he sounds desperate, but I'm far from done.

"It's weird having that come from you when the person who hurt me the most is standing right in front of me." I spit, finding the anger already gone, instead a wave of betrayal and sadness washes over me, making me want to be anywhere but here. I turn my back on him, walking away. I hear someone scream as I run away from everything. I can hear him running after me, but I'm done with his shit right now. I pick up my pace and even though I've shrunk to my original size, I'm far ahead of him.

One thought is stuck in my head, I'm sick and tired of Mateo. I don't want to ever see him again, and I mean it. The feeling of utter loneliness fills me, and I shiver. I'm truly alone. I stop, letting myself catch my breath and calming my thoughts. Mateo isn't following after me anymore. The only thought left in my head is I need to go home. Alex is dead so I'm safe for now. At least from him, who knows what else there is. Another thought strikes me. how do I get back home? The only way I can think of is going back to Mateo, so I suck it up, blaming it on my need to go home that this is the last time I'll ever talk or see him.

"MATEO!" I yell out, finding myself on the outskirts of the city. The sun is about to go down and the temperature is dropping at least a few degrees, it's still warm though.

"Olivia?" I hear from behind and I whip around, finding Mateo standing behind me. he catches me feeling a little cold and hands me his hoodie, I don't take it.

"Don't bother, I'm not staying. You'll freeze anyway. I'm going back home." He lets out a disappointed breath but throws the hoodie at me anyway.

"Take it anyway, I don't feel the cold down here anymore anyway. I'll lead you towards the portal. It's a direct one, so you won't have to go through the in-between." We start to walk, and I find myself unable to utter a word. My mind is swarmed with thoughts. Where am I even going to go? I don't know if I even have any family left.

The most secure option would be to stay with Mateo, but I don't think I can do that right now. I need some space to think about what has happened and how I'm going to handle it all.

He stops by the portal. "I'm assuming you don't want me to come with you?" I shake my head. "I appreciate everything you've done for me so far, but I need time." He nods before giving me a small wave, leaving me to my thoughts. I pass through the portal, for once in my life I manage to land on my feet, yes I stumble but at least I'm not falling flat on my face.

I rush back towards the house, feeling the frigid air sting against my sensitive skin. I feel like a newborn baby. Sensitive to everything and unable to do anything.

I ignore my own room, knowing what's waiting behind the closed door. I lay down in my parent's bed, smelling the covers for comfort but I'm still cold and I don't think the heat will come to me tonight. I don't think it ever will. I struggle to fall asleep for a while, but when I do I welcome the darkness with open arms.