9. Back to school

Olivia P.O.V.

My mom comes back inside the hospital room after a couple of hours. The nurse has been here, and she took some blood samples. It went by quickly, something that I appreciate because I hate needles and syringes and all that hospital stuff.

"You can pack up your stuff. We're all clear to leave now. I'll wait just outside." I nod to my mom and get out of bed. I change back from the hospital clothes to some clothes my mom had brought for me. I collect my things and meet my mom who waited just as she said on the outside of the door.

"It's about time you get home, don't you think?" I know she just wants me to feel safe, so I get in the car with her, and when I get home, my room is the only place I want to go to. I get the pills/drugs out of the bag I got from the hospital. The doctor set me on some sedative drugs. She said I might have trouble sleeping and feel calm. That I may experience uncontrollable shaking, panic attacks, nightmares, and the list goes on. She also told me that it's normal for someone who has been through a kidnapping and other sorts of serious traumatic experiences.

I was kidnapped and I am still working on processing all of that. I find it hard mostly because I can't stop thinking about Mateo. What he is, the serum, and I'm having trouble grasping the events of what happened.

I take a pill and lay down in bed. This whole "move for a fresh start" didn't go at all as I planned it to. I lay on my bed thinking for a while. What would have happened if my sister never got kidnapped and murdered? Everything would have been so much different then. I'll the covers over myself as I fall asleep. All thanks to the drugs, at least that is what I think.

"Olivia?" I open my eyes. The sun shines bright outside my window and right in my eyes. I sit up and turn my head to my mom who is standing by the end of the bed.

"Do you feel ready to get back to school? Maybe we should wait a couple of days?" Her voice is calm and low, full of concern. Probably for me, but it just makes me want to go back as soon as possible. It's like she's afraid of me falling apart. I know that she cares for me, but right now I think that it's good for me to get back to my normal life as soon as possible.

I can't imagine how my mom must have felt. Losing her second daughter to kidnapping, expected to find her just like they found the first one. Dead and in pieces. I'll hide the drugs, tell her that I'm not using them. She will feel better thinking that I am back home and well. If she thinks that I'm not using them because I don't need them, it will make her feel better because then she will think I'm okay. To be honest, I'm not. Not even close.

"Yes, I want to go back to school. I need to get back to my friends before I lose them. I can't miss any more classes right now. By the way, I would also feel better with everything returning to normal. Just pretending that this all didn't happen." I can see that she's worried, but I know that she'll respect my choice and let me go to school.

She walks out of my room and down the stairs. I get out of bed, get dressed, and put some of the pills in my bag. I walk out ready for school, a little afraid because I know that I'll have to talk to Mateo eventually and that I would probably see him there. By the time I get to school, I just make it into the classroom before the bell rings. I get some weird looks, but I expected it. The girl who got kidnapped returns. Someone even asks how I'm doing, and I tell them that I'm doing fine, even though this was a lot harder than I first thought.

At lunchtime, I go to the bathroom. I take out the box of pills and take one. I look at myself in the mirror. Such a mess. Just like the doctor said my hands are trembling, for now, I have managed to keep it hidden from everyone. I have avoided Mateo for now, but I heard someone said that he was looking for me.

I'll have to face him eventually. To be honest with myself, I'm terrified to meet Mateo right now. He reads me like an open book. He will be able to tell that I'm not fine, he'll notice my trembling hands. I can't let anyone see how much this has affected me. This isn't me. I'm a strong person, I must be that at least. For my parents. For myself.

I walk out into the hallway again and almost run into Mia and Sophie. "So nice to finally see you again. I do feel bad for you about what happened to you. And I feel responsible because it happened. After all, you were at my party." Her eyes are full of worry, and I can't help but feel sorry for her. This was not her fault.

"Don't blame yourself, you could never have known this was going to happen. To be honest I think it's stranger. I thought many times that I would be killed as my sister did, and I got sad that she went through all that not knowing if anyone would ever come and rescue her. Anyone coming to rescue me." As I stop talking, I realize what I just said. I just said everything I wanted to leave behind me. This new life, the people here was never going to know, and I just said it. Fantastic job Olivia. This is just not my day is it?

"Your sister got kidnapped?" Sophie looks at me, worry written all over her face. "Yeah, she got kidnapped and murdered. But I don't want to talk about it. Moving here was going to be a fresh start so please just forget I said anything." I give them a nervous smile that from their reaction, didn't reach my ears. I look down a second, collecting myself.

When I look back up, I see Mateo walking towards us, or more towards me from behind them. "Who saved you?" Mia asks curiously, and to be honest I don't blame her. Everyone else wants to know too. Hadn't it been for the fact that Mateo was behind her, and I felt the urge to just disappear, I would have answered. "I don't remember," I answer quickly before turning on my heel and walk away. I nearly break into a run, and I don't stop before I turn the corner. I stop to catch my breath.

I look down at my hands and watch as they shake uncontrollably. It's not little either anyone would be able to see them now. My heart is pounding in my chest. I just took the pill, I guess seeing Mateo is something that makes me so nervous and scared that not even the drugs can help me now. I'm in deep water and I don't know how to swim.