26. Escaping once again

Olivia P.O.V.

Once I wake up, the air doesn't feel as heavy, and breathing has become much easier. Not coughing anymore. Neither Mateo nor I have moved. I'm still wrapped in his arms on his lap. His wounds seemed to have closed. At least on the outside, I don't know how he feels or if he got any energy left. I just know that he's alive from the warm breath on my shoulder as my head is resting at the crook of his neck. I can feel him staring at me, telling me he's awake.

"Why're you staring at me?" I ask teasingly. I can still have some fun even being stuck in this shithole. I hear him letting out a breath, of embarrassment or guilt I don't know.

"I may have unintentionally hurt you, on several occasions. I may have done the wrong thing more than once. But despite all of that I still like you, hell if I know I might love you. I've never felt the way I feel about you for anyone else before. I can't stop thinking about you. Your laugh, your smile, your voice. How you manage to pull a joke at a time like this, to how peaceful, and beautiful you look when you're sleeping." I smile, but don't move. I'm way too comfortable.

"You okay? Did you hit your head or somethin'?" I tease. He let out a low chuckle making his chest give off a calming buzzing sound.

"Shut up." Short and blunt, but his voice held a smiling tone.

"I'm serious though. How are your wounds? I mean I'm still here so if that makes you strong you could maybe shift into that... umm... thing again and break us out?" I ask, leaning away from him just enough for me to see his face. He draws a grimace, deep in thought.

"I don't think that's a very promising idea. For once that'll probably make you pass out. Besides, if you're actually turning into a demon, then back to earth is a bad place for you to be right now." He tells me, his face all serious and stripped from the smile and laughter he just showed seconds before.

"Why?" my question is short and simple. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference.

"Because there is a reason as to why demons aren't allowed to walk the earth before they're at least fifteen years old. The changes are a lot bigger than you might think. You won't be able to live like before." I ignore his words and stand up, feeling full of energy and awake for the first time in a while.

"What can you do? What are your abilities?" he looks at me confused.

"What are you going to do with that information?"

"Just tell me." I'm starting to get annoyed with him. If my cells are copying him that must mean that my abilities will be like his. If not the same, then something similar. Besides, he never told me exactly what he could do. Mostly because I never asked about that.

"Fine. Sharing memories, make hallucinations, faster, stronger, basic magic which involved moving things with my mind, simple spells." He takes a break, and I look down at him and helps him stand up.

"The unique ability that I have is shapeshifting into whatever I'd like. Since I'm special, I have one more. It's an exception because of the serum. I only recently figured it out." He stops as if he's hesitant to tell me.

"What is it?" I ask eagerly. "Plunderer. I can plunder others of their special ability. It's dangerous because if I gain too many, I might lose control. I've used it once and gained the ability collapse, which is a destructive one. I can make things crumble, destroy any item into dust by will." I nod my head, capturing the information and digesting it. "Thinking about it you may get all of them because of your cells copying mine, and for all, I know you might get more. It's still a mystery to me how this is even possible." I nod.

"That's a great starting point." I saw in a whisper, more to myself than to him. I walk up to the wall. "How does it work?" I ask looking at him from my standing point by one of the walls. "I'm not telling you how to use any of them just for you to use them now and kill both of us." He says rather harshly.

With a flick of his fingers, he's released from the chains and walks up to me. Standing beside me facing the wall. He makes some movements with his hands before suddenly pushing them against the wall only for the wall to go up in dust. "Shit!" my mouth gape open, and he looks at me with a sheepless grin plastered on his face. He takes my hand and leads me out of the basement-looking room and out into the dim sunlight of the in-between. Flinching slightly as the sunlight seems to burn on my skin.

"I used magic if you didn't notice. It takes some practice, and I don't want to use collapse because I don't have control over it yet." Without another word, he starts to walk away from the building. The people or demons walking around here don't seem to mind me anymore which I have to say kind of creeps me out. It makes the whole transformation into a demon even more real than it already is.

I'm still trying to convince myself that this is all a dream, but it's starting to become harder because, at this point, I would've woken up already. I want my life back, and my sister back now more than ever. I look at Mateo only to realize that he's gotten a lot paler and sweat is starting to form on his forehead. Wasn't he getting better?

"You're not better, are you?" I stop and he turns to me, a tired look showing clearly on his face. It's not often I see him this open and that seems to worry me more than I want to admit. "I'm fine, we can focus on my well-being later." He states in what I assume was supposed to be a serious tone, but he fails miserably.

"No, your body would've healed by now? Your wounds are all closed up why aren't you better? No, wait you seem somewhat worse." I state in fact. If he only could see himself right now. "Please tell me what's wrong," I say this time in a softer tone, trying to reach out to him.

"I got shot with a bullet. It was poisoned and I need to get it out before I die, but I can't do that right now." Taking in the words I realize the seriousness of the matter at hand. "Can't you just go to the hospital and get it taken out when we get back?" I ask and he shakes his head, no.

"If I do that, they'll know I'm not human and I'll spend the rest of my life as a researching project in a closed-off laboratory. That's not gonna happen." He stated and I nod my head.

"Let me know I there's anything I can do to help. I'll be there. Besides, you could always just show up in my room." I say with a smirk. He smiles at me, suppressing the urge to laugh. "I get it, I'll use the door next time." I nod and he stops. "Well, ladies first." He nods towards the flicker of light in the air, as a signal to the portal. "You first, I'm not going to leave you," I say harshly. "You may hate me, but I don't hate you so off you go." He says and pushes me through the portal.