14. Thoughts... *part 1*

Mateo P.O.V.

I tell Olivia about everything she wants to know. I want her to trust me, not to be afraid of me. I don't have time for insecurities. I care about her, more than I thought I did, or would for that matter. She just walked into my life. She's scared, I see that. She's lost. She doesn't even flinch when I move closer to her. She is too lost in her thoughts.

Please don't be scared. I only want you to feel better. I think to myself.

I sit down behind her and wrap my arms around her in a one-armed hug. I hope you trust me enough to let me comfort you at least.

"What are you doing?" she jumps a little, telling me she got scared by my actions. She sounds so confused too. Dammit, Olivia? Why can't you just relax and trust me? I don't want to harm you. Alex made me do it. I think to myself aware of the fact that she can't hear my thoughts.

"You need to relax. Just let it all out." She does as I tell her to. Moving closer to me and allowing me to take care of her. She has no one to talk to about all of this. I've just created a mess. Her leaning against me allows me to hear her heartbeat. Beating rapidly in her chest. She is so small in comparison to me. She crawls up against me like this makes me realize just how small and vulnerable she is.

She starts sobbing at first, which develops into crying until she is desperately gasping for air. I hold her close and tighter to my chest realizing that I'm afraid of losing her. It's like she's in a lot of pain.

Just calm down everything is going to be alright. I think to myself, not brave enough to say the words out loud. Scared of what she'll think. I don't believe it much myself either. I will never let anyone ever hurt you like this ever again. Even though I know that this is my fault I won't let anything else happen to her. Not if I can do anything about it.

Eventually, she falls asleep in my arms. She looks so peaceful when she's asleep. Cute too. Her breathing has gone over to a slower rhythm and her heart beating steadily. Daim, all I want is to sit like this for hours. Hold her, be there for her. To be here when she wakes up. All I want is for her to be happy like she looks right now. Asleep crawled up against my chest with a solid grip on my shirt, and her head buried in my chest.

"You are so careful and caring for everyone around you. Not wanting anything but goodness. Despite all that you got me stumbling for a while. I've only just now realized how hard I've fallen." I smile for myself, then I carefully release my arms around her. Grabbing her hands and prying her fingers away from my shirt. I lay her gently down in her bed, carefully so she won't wake up. I pull the covers over her. I look at her for the last time, watching her carefree sleeping, before I pull myself silently through the window and jumping down landing firmly at the front of the house.

She's better off without me. No matter how much I want to be with her, she won't be happy by my side. Wherever I go only death and destruction follow.

I walk past the school. I don't have any home on earth. I usually just sleep in the woods. There are not that many walking through them. Not as far to notice me anyway. It's not even cold this time of year. I know can't go back to Olivia, and I certainly can't go back to the in-between. I have declared war against Alex, probably not y smartest move.

I must come up with a strategy if I'm going to win this. I can manage without sleep, at least for tonight. I must talk to Alex. The horrible man who destroyed my life, and hers. Especially if he did what I thought he did. Olivia told me that he injected her with a serum. If that is in fact what he did, and apparently what he did to me too? Except I have no memory of that... I need to figure out what it does to her. She seems more tired than she should these days, that can't be a good sign, and where did her mom go? She never came home, and I haven't seen her dad either. Something's up, I just know it.

I decide to go down to the in-between and talk to Alex right away. Just when I enter, Alex shows up right in front of me.

"What brings you here?" Straight to the point as always, I like that. "The serum that you injected Olivia with. What was it?" Curiosity taking the better of me blurs out the question right away.

"It was a demon serum, which should have turned her into a demon, but she didn't. At least not yet." He smiles that creepy smile. I hate this man. From the very bottom of my heart. "But you injected me with the same serum years ago, didn't you?" I prove myself to be calm, but on the inside, I'm overwhelmed by anger. I trusted him. How foolish could I even be? The man before him or him never cared for me, they used me. Tortured me and made me do things I still have nightmares about.

"I injected you with something similar, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. You must have noticed it by now? That you're much more powerful than the others? You are outstanding, but not perfect. Not like she's going to be once the serum kicks in." I must leave now or else this will only get worse. I turn my back on Alex and head back to earth. But the time I get back up it's already sunrise. Time moves differently down there. Something I always seem to forget. Dammit, Mateo, you're just so stupid.

Mateo.

A voice appears clearly in my mind. Olivia? I sense her and she isn't far from me. I run as fast as I can towards her, and when I arrive, I see her in the arms of a bloodsucking demon. I feel rage rushing over me. I take the few steps left up to them. I pull him away from her and throw him away.

Olivia collapses on the ground, her legs not being able to carry her weight anymore. I rush up to her. The wound doesn't look that bad now, but I don't know how it will be in an hour. These kinds of bite marks have a bad habit of growing worse after the incident. I lift her from the ground. Her body weighing less than I thought. Has she eaten at all? I'll be sure to mention that later.

"How is it that you always get yourself wrapped up in danger all the time? What a pain." I smile to myself and start to walk towards her home. I'm only joking, she's not a burden. Not at all. Her mom is probably worried sick about her too.

"Where are we going?" I look down at her. She is half awake. "Look at me, just relax I've got you." I use my powers to let her go back to sleep. She shouldn't be awake right now. She could go into shock because of the injury. Partly because of the injury being covered in blood, and her blood loss, nevertheless. It doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if I'll rust her mother with it either. It could suddenly develop into a worse condition. She has no clue about what happened to her. Neither now nor before when she got kidnapped.

I put her down on a bench and wipes the blood off her neck with my sweater. I'm probably going to regret this later. Dammit.

I bite my wrist, making sure I cut over the main artery. It bleeds a lot and I put my wrist up to her mouth. Even now when she's unconscious she grabs my arm. This will make it all better. Not gone but better. I make sure to give her enough to make it better, but not completely gone. Her mom needs an explanation of why she is unconscious. I lift her back up in my arms, again the thought hits me of how light she is. When I come near her house her mother rushes out to me.

"Miss! This is your daughter, right?" She looks at me and when she sees Olivia her jaw drops. I hurry over to her. By the looks of it, she is out of her mind with worry now.

"My daughter is she okay?" She looks me in the eyes, as tears run down her cheeks like a waterfall. I nod. "She is fine, all she needs is rest. It might be wise for her to skip school tomorrow." She takes her from my arms and walks inside. She shuts the door right behind her, leaving me outside all alone. Well, now she better starts to listen to what I say. Wait! No, she could have died, focus Mateo. Dammit, it's so conflicted. I walk away from her house, silently. This was a troublesome morning.