18. Spilling beans

Olivia's P.O.V.

I wake up and immediately look at the clock. It's almost four o'clock. How was I even able to sleep for this long? Mateo isn't here anymore obviously, he has more important things to worry about. My head still hurts, if not even more now than before.

I walk down the stairs to the kitchen. I pour myself a glass of icy water and chugs it down. I walk to the living sitting down I the sofa while reaching for the remote and turning the TV on. Just as I place the remote back on the table the door goes up.

"Hello?" it's my mom. Not having the energy to shout back to her I wait for her to find me by the sound of the TV. When she appears in the kitchen, she looks at me. Grocery bags are still in her hands as she places them on the counter. She walks back towards the door to take off her shoes and jacket. When she returns, she looks at me.

"Pancakes?" She doesn't wait for an answer before walking into the kitchen and finding the ingredients for making dinner. She said it like it was a question, but not sure if I'm wanting or even expecting an answer.

Not finding anything interesting on the TV I turn it off and walk back upstairs. I pull the curtains shut, not wanting to be anywhere so bright. The sun is still high up in the sky.

I sit down on the chair by my desk and put my laptop in front of me on the desk. I set the brightness on the screen to the minimum before doing anything else. Everything bright just seems to make my headache worse. I put on some slow music and playing some games not needing much concentration. I just don't feel like doing anything, especially not social.

"Hey." A voice filled with joy makes me squeak and nearly fall of my chair as my laptop falls on the floor. Shit! I bend down to look at it, being relieved when I realize it didn't break. "Sorry I scared you. Everything, all right?" the voice I now recognize being Mateo's making me mad. "Why do you always have to scare me. Stop coming out of nowhere that would be nice, thank you." I say sarcasm dripping from my words. Can't he act normal even for a minute? I know he's all except normal but, what's the harm in trying right?

"How did you even get in?" I ask as I spin my chair around and look at him, now sitting on the edge of my bed. "I came in through the window, and I know how to be fast and silent." He smirks at me before letting himself fall backward onto my bed in a relaxing manner. "Why can't you just knock like normal people?" I ask the obvious question, curious about his reason for doing what he does. I never get to know what happens in that head of his anyway.

"Normal is boring, besides I'm not normal." Even from where I'm sitting, I can see him smiling, trying to contain his laughter. Soon giving up and laughing before he realizes I'm not. I stand up from the chair making my way over to the window. I push the curtains aside, the bright light stinging in my eyes before they adjust, and I lean against the window frame looking out over the town. It's cold outside, even with the sun making it look much warmer than it is. Winter is coming fast.

"What happens with you in the winter?" I ask and turn around facing Mateo, who has dragged himself up in a sitting position leaning on his hands, which are firmly placed behind him on the bed in a relaxing posture.

"With me? Are you worried?" a cocky grin firmly placed on his face. At the same time, his eyes are full of hope, I'm worried about him. Makes me think he looks cute. Without all the demon drama that comes with knowing him, I could picture myself falling for him, rather hard too.

"What if I am? Would that be such a terrible thing?" my voice being a bit more serious than his.

"Maybe not." He admits, keeping my gaze. He gets up from the bed walking up to stand beside me.

"Nothing special, except dying. Demons being creatures of hell needing warmth to survive. Warmer than humans at least. If we dress correctly and making sure not the body temperature drops too much, we're good." He leans on the window frame looking out as I did just a minute ago. His voice had now turned serious too. "Don't say we." I make my statement short, not liking how he always refers to the demons as we. I get that he's a demon, but I'd much more prefer to forget.

I turn away from the window, my eyes stinging from the bright light. I get to stand in the middle of the room before his words making me stop.

"What is it? It doesn't seem like you like the thought of me being different. That I'm a demon and talk about them like I'm one of them. How could I not when I am?" his voice is calm, but that only makes me madder. I turn around forcing myself to look at him.

"It's because I don't! I don't think of you as one of them, but it's gotten quite hard to obtain that thought when you always refer to them as we! Always reminding me of who you are, even though I'd rather forget it!" I yell at him, frustrated with him not knowing how it feels for me.

Letting his emotions show I can see in his eyes that he's hurt by my words. His face softens as he looks at me with his now empty eyes. No longer showing me how he feels and having no idea where this conversation is headed.

"Why? Why does it have to mean so much to you?" he asks his voice still calm not letting me know if he's angry or sad or any other emotion. I hate it when I'm not able to read him. This was it. Now I'm mad and my emotions are all over the place. "Because I'm catching feelings and the thought of you being a demon makes this so hard!" I say pointing at him before rushing out the door. Slamming it shut behind me. I can't believe I just said that.