17. What's wrong with me

Mateo P.O.V.

I show her my memories of her since the day we met. My feelings and how I slowly fell for her. When she wakes up, she looks me straight in the eyes. Her green eyes making me feel warm and comfortable. I know she hates when I do this to her. It makes her uncomfortable, but I'm not sure I will be able to tell her straight out how I feel. It's hard, I've thought about it several times now, but every time it feels like a ball of fire is in my throat.

"That's what I wanted to show you. I'll leave you alone from now on. I'll try to make Alex stay away from you too. I'm sorry I dragged you into this." I stand up, turning my back against her as I walk away from her towards the door. I hear her footsteps behind me as she takes hold of my arm. I turn to her, looking into her green eyes. Not dark green, more like green like the grass in your garden in summer. She stands there for a second, not saying much. Her eyes telling me she wants to say something, so I stay still for her so let the words out.

"What's wrong?" She shakes her head and lets it fall to the floor looking down at her feet. "Nothing, could you just say? Hold me while I fix myself?" She's broken, her voice almost giving out at the end. I pull her towards myself without a second thought. If she wants me to stay, then that's what I'll do. I don't want to lose her. We just stand there, her in my arms for a while.

I pull back from the hug, and lift her from the ground into my arms, bridal style, and walk towards the bed. She's light. I sit down against the end of the bed, my back against the headboard. She instantly crawls as far as she can get onto me. Pulling her legs up to her chest, sitting on my lap with her head on my chest. I wrap my arms around her in a tight embrace. Trying to keep her together when I know she is slowly falling apart. Compared to me, she's so small. Her hands, being so small and short. I'm like a foot taller than her.

I smile to myself putting my fingers lightly on her neck, leaving a purple mark, like she was stung by a needle. Making her fall asleep. Her breathing slowing down in harmony with her heartbeat.

I look at her while she sleeps. Her face having a resting gesture, making me smile. She's so beautiful.

She opens her eyes, and I can hear her heartbeat quicken when she looks around her noticing that I'm no longer there. Cute. She looks at me, and I quickly look away. Busted! I look out the window. She got a relaxing view thought. I can feel the blush forming in my cheeks but ignore it. I can feel her staring at me, making me smile to myself. She isn't even realizing that she is staring.

"Why are you watching me sleep?" I shrug my shoulders, not letting her get away with the answer that easily. "I like what I see." I smile standing up from the chair I was sitting in and make my way towards the door. "Where are you going?" the small tone of desperation, towards me leaving making my chest ace. I don't want to hurt her, but I must talk to Alex. Preventing war if that's still an option.

"I need to check something. I'll be back." I walk out of the door before she has the time to say anything, knowing if she begged me, I wouldn't be able to walk out the door. I walk in the forest, through the portal into the in-between.

"What do you want?" he asks with a harsh voice indicating that he's annoyed, as he spits on the ground in annoyance. He's not in a good mood today. "I want to try and prevent a war from happening. Why can't we just forget it? Just leave me and Oliva alone?" I notice that I'm starting to get annoyed, and by the look on his face he has seen it too. "Because you owe me, big time." He comes closer. "What do you want?" My voice filling the silent air around us, as a breeze flow by. He breaks the silence laughing that creepy laughter. It gives me the creeps. I know I'm weaker without Olivia by my side. She somehow gives my powers an extra boost whenever she is near me. I've noticed it for a while now, but I don't know how it affects her thoughts. I forced her to sleep last night because I could see that she needed it.

«I want something you can't give me. Your soul." His voice sounding cold even in this warm climate. "It's not for sale." I reply just as cold." I turn my back at him. Knowing that I had at least tried to prevent what was going to be happening over the next few days. "Are you going to fight your way out of this!? Both you and I know that you can't!" He yells after me. I chose to ignore him as I walk away towards Olivia's house. I almost run her over on her way out.

"Whoa!" I say, backing away from her, letting my heart slow down as a chuckle escapes my lips.

"What was it that you needed to check?" Her voice is cheerful and curious.

"I talked to Alex. Trying to make a deal that doesn't include war. But I think we're past that now, he's convinced that what I did was declaring war against him. He won't give up. I don't have a choice anymore. I need to fight him. The vision I had, I just hope it doesn't end like that. I hope I can change the fate for you and me." I'm conflicted, but I won't let her see it. She doesn't need to think about this more than she probably already does.

"It's okay." We walk to school together, for the first time in a while. I sit down beside her in class. After class we split up, I need to talk to some teacher, and she got other classes. I talk to a teacher to explain my 'family' problems. That's not the reason but it's the one they'll accept.

When I make my way out the doors, I catch Olivia on her way out. She's holding her head. "You okay?" I ask her, even though I know that she's not. She stops walking at my words. "I'm fine." No, no you're not. I hate it when she's lying. Doesn't she understand that I only want what's best for her?

"Please don't lie to me." She turns towards me and looks up at me. She's so short it's adorable.

"My head hurts a bit, it's nothing. I'll just go home and get some rest." I walk over to her, closing the distance. I'll take her home. Just to be safe.

"I'll come with you." She stops looking at me all confused.

"Why are you coming with me?" I don't bother to answer her, knowing she'll probably shove me off. I walk towards her house with her. I watch her closely, she can't walk in a straight line anymore. She's starting to worry me, a lot.

When we reach her house, she almost falls making me rush to her side luckily, she manages to catch herself. She stumbles up the stairs and into her room. I fight the urge to just carry her, but I know she needs to do this for herself. Once reaching her room she let herself fall on the bed, falling asleep almost instantly. Her breath coming in rapidly and her heart beating a couple of beats too fast per minute.

I walk over to her bed, sitting down next to her. I push back some hair getting in her face. When I touch her forehead it's hot. She's burning up, probably from a fever.

Wanting nothing more than to ease her pain and suffering I place my hand firmly on her forehead, closing my eyes focusing on her. Her energy, the temperature in the room, each sound, and every small movement both in and outside of the house. There is a cat in the backyard who's hunting for a mouse. A gust of wind making the leaves rustle in the chilly air. All senses heightened. My focus returning to her, how warm she is. How she smells, her features.

Her bright green eyes filled with nothing else than pain and empathy for others. Her pain coming from the loss of her sister. Her shiny chocolate brown hair. The way she speaks and laughs.

When I open my eyes, I move her head to the side looking at the back of her neck. Close to the hairline, I can see a small purple dot forming. It looks like she has been poked with a needle, not visible if you didn't know what you were looking for. After a minute or so, her heartbeat has slowed down, and her breath returning to calm and steady breathing. The fever also disappearing.

I'm happy for being able to make her better, there is nothing else I want to do for her other than to help her. This is what I do to her, in return for her making me stronger. It drains her energy. Her life slowly dripping out of her. She gets headaches, dizziness as well as fevers. I'm happy for my ability to heal others from diseases and pain. It works almost no matter how bad. Almost.