10. The talk with Mateo

Olivia P.O.V.

Mateo turns around the corner and stands right in front of me. I jump and I can feel all the muscles in my body tense. Ready to just run away. He places a hand beside my head and looks down at me.

"You won't get rid of me that easily. What's wrong?" He looks sort of concerned. I'm not sure if it's genuine or not. I don't trust him, but something in me tells me that I should. It's all mixed feelings. I'm a mess, especially around Mateo. When I don't answer he puts his other hand on the wall behind me. Closing the distance even further. His face is now even closer, making my breathing increase and I place my palms on the wall to make them stop shaking as much. I can feel my legs starting to give up on me. At least I manage to keep myself up for now.

"Earth to Olivia?" His voice is normal, it's not scary like it was at the hospital. Nor is it filled with despair and other emotions. It's completely normal, in a tone that reminds me of someone who cares. It's just like everyone else's. But I don't buy it. I can feel my hands shaking even against the wall and I put my hands together to try to minimize the shaking. This catching his attention.

"Olivia, talk to me. What's going on?" I look up at him meeting his eyes. "I get it, you're sad but I don't have time for that right now." He shakes me out of my little moment of emotions. I'm not sad. Really if it's one thing I'm not it's sad. He is completely and utterly hopeless at reading emotions. Is he even trying?

I get out from between his arms, which takes all my mental strength, and I move away from the wall and him. "Good, now I'll come by your house after school? I need to talk to you. It's important." He waits for my answer, but I won't give him one. I don't want him at my house or anywhere near me. All I want is for him to leave me alone. I walk away from him not looking back. I stop when I turn a corner. I just stand there for a minute catching my breath and calming my nerves before getting to my class.

The rest of the day just passes without me being there psychologically. Now I will never be able to get over the death of my sister, and her kidnapping. It's all coming back to me now, the memories I have with her, and the death of her. When the police told us, they found her body. At the funeral. She was laying in pieces in that coffin.

I will never be able to get the kidnapping away from my mind if Mateo keeps walking around me. He only reminds me about what I've been thought because of him. What he did and has don't to others. What in the world have I gotten myself into? Then I remember that I didn't get myself up unto this mess, Mateo did. This is all his fault.

I walk home, slowly not minding what I'm doing or where I'm walking. When I finally get home, I just unlock my door. At this point, I have lost my will to live, and it's all Mateo's fault. Partly at least. I walk inside and up the stairs to my room. I sit down on my bed when I get out of my state of mind. I notice Mateo standing in my doorway. What the hell? All my nervousness is now gotten over to anger.

He followed me into my house! Who does he think he is? "Just leave me alone!?" I'm not even looking at him, just straightforward. My voice is loud and demanding, even though I haven't spoken much all day.

"What happened to you?! You were so full of life, so happy and now you're just like a zombie! What the hell Olivia!?" He yells at me, and I snap out of it. I finally look up at him. I'm shocked to see that his face is straight, not filled with anger as I thought it would be. I'm furious. I Stand up getting so close I can smell his breath on my face as he stands still and looks down at me.

"It doesn't fall in your head that this is all your fault?!" I point a finger at his chest hard, making him take a step back. Not expecting me to behave like this. "That because of the kidnapping that if I may remind you was YOUR fault! I'm completely lost! That I'm terrified to be taken away like last time. To be near you because you remind me of all that happened to me! That I eat these drug tablets to be able to sleep and go to school. My hands are shaking because I'm so out of state right now?! And you want to know what's wrong with me? You are Mateo. You are what's wrong with me. Ever since I met you my life has been turned upside down. I was terrified to see you at school." Somewhere along with my speech of words, my voice got lower and lower. The last part I was nearly whispering, as I feel a tear making its way down my cheek.

When I look back up at him his facial expression has softened a little and I think he's finally thinking about how I must have felt for being exposed to all that. It even hits me how much I've been through the last couple of weeks.

"Is it that bad?" his voice is calm now, a lot calmer than I thought he would be. "What do you think? I mean look at me." I take a step back and wave a hand over myself.

"Does it look like I'm okay? To be kidnapped is bad enough from the beginning. Not to speak of the fact that you get brought halfway down to hell by someone you are in class with. AFTER your sister just a few weeks before gets kidnapped, tortured, and found in pieces, murdered." The last words barely get out of my mouth. I'm falling apart. My vision gets cloudy as other tears run down my cheeks like a waterfall. The tear is followed by another, then another and now it's just flowing down my cheeks, over my jaw down my throat, and gets cough by my sweater making it slightly darker than it was.

"To be honest with you. It looks like you're falling apart. It doesn't look like you're okay. You look broken, and it's my fault." He sits down on a chair. His voice sounded broken like he was a glass dropped on the floor. Shattered into pieces. I sit down at my bed, trying to pull myself together.

I feel like broken glass on the floor. It's just too much to take in all at once. All the memories of what happened back then are running through my head. He gets up from his chair and sits beside me. He puts his arm around me, but I'm just too surprised to do anything about it. However, my body stiffens and that is enough for him to let down his arm and stand up. He then bends down in front of me, making us at the same eye level.

"I'm sorry. I never meant for you to be scared like this or hurt at all." He wipes my tears away with his thumb. I move away from his hand, and he puts it back down. "Can you just stop?" I ask my voice trembling and I'm surprised it has even held this long.

"Stop what?" I look up at him. Facing my fears. "Stop pretending that you care. You scare me, and I'm terrified of you. Don't you understand that?" He keeps pretending that he is this prince rescuing me. I'm not comfortable with the fact that he's a demon. That he's supposed to help me. I need time to process everything, but I can't do that with him hanging over my shoulders.

"Then tell me. I don't know what to do to make you feel any better. I need you, and you might not know it yet, but you need me to. Just tell me what to do to make this situation better? There is only one thing I won't do and that is to let you be because you need time. The time that we don't have right now." I can tell that he's worried, but he keeps telling me he won't leave me alone because he needs me. Why? An idea pops up in my head.

"You can help me by answering my questions. I want a straight answer. No matter what I'm asking you must answer. At least it can help me get my facts right." He nods. "You can start by telling me everything about you and demons. Advantages, weaknesses powers if you have any." I sit down on the bed, and he sits opposite me on the other side of it. He looks shocked, but I don't have room for compassion right now.