28. Magic bullet

Olivia P.O.V.

As I watch helplessly the bullet making its way over to finish me off, a shadow covers my line of vision. Strong arms wrap around me. "It's going to be okay." A quiet voice whispers by my ear. The voice belonging to none other than Mateo.

He lets out a small grunt as the bullet hit's his back, then he takes my arm and starts dragging me away again.

Is he okay? He was just shot and is running as nothing happened. Where does he get the energy from? Not to speak of the fact that he doesn't even look bothered by the fact that there is a bullet somewhere in his back...

"You okay?"

"Huh?"

I look at him only for me to realize that the air is thicker, and the sun doesn't burn anymore. We're back in the in-between­.

"I should be asking you that." I scold him. Jeez, so much our relationship has changed lately. Here I am, having Mateo just risk his life for me. Me who, now is a demon just like him might I add.

"I'm fine." Well, that didn't sound so confident. "We'll go to my personal place. Alex doesn't know about it." I just nod, having the ability to speak ripped away from me. I'm way too deep in thought and shocked to even begin to put my thoughts into words, for now at least.

Mateo is walking fast in front of me through a shady neighborhood making the hair on my arms stand. What home could you find in a run-down place like this? I convince myself to not say that out loud because I'm not sure how Mateo will take it, seeing as it's his home and all. We walk into a house, and I can instantly smell the fungus growing.

Eww.

Mateo, ignoring my disgusted look or probably not noticing it. Takes my hand in his, making butterflies erupt in my stomach. I look up at him surprised. "What are you doing?" he just gives me a cocky grin before I watch as the whole place gets re-arranged in front of my eyes.

What in the actual fuck?

The house ends up looking quite nice in the end, much like the house I used to live at. I'm reminded that my parents are now dead and there is no longer any need for me to ever return back into that house, seeing as it will only bring bad memories to the front of my mind.

"I've put up a barrier around the house so that Alex wouldn't find out. We're going to be safe here for a while. Make yourself at home." He then turns around walking up the stairs on the left side of the hallway.

I turn away and look around the house. It's quite big for only one person. Must be lonely living like this. Quite modern too, the air is refreshing is a new feeling and I try not to dwell on it. It's just going to make me sad thinking about it. A thus from above draws me out of my line of thoughts. What in the actual fuck was that?

I make my way back into the hallway and up the stairs in search of Mateo or the reason behind the noise. Noticing Mateo unconscious on the floor, shaking right outside of a door I assume is for the bathroom. I rush over to him, finding the bullet wound I can actually see the glimmer of a bullet. Taking a deep breath, I push my fingers inside of the open bleeding wound, but as soon as my fingers make contact with the bullet and a burning sensation crawls up my arm making me jump back in surprise and pain.

Standing back up I rush into the room he was trying to get into but failed miserably in doing so. Looking through the cabinets I call jackpot, finding tweezers.

Getting down on my knees I lean over Mateo in search of the bullet. Pulling the tweezers into the wound Mateo twitches beneath me. This must hurt. I fuddle for a while before I manage to get a grip on the bullet, and I drag it out. I toss it on the floor, just as Mateo lets out a gasp of air and jolts up in a sitting position.