Dylan O'brien (Joel Dawson)

WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!! And it's like super long 😬

Imagine: what if Joel was going to colony 3022 (I think that was it) to find a long lost sister, and you, being part of his colony (7045) had a crush on him for a long time so you decided to join him on his journey.

"I'm going." He announced The rest of the colony was shocked. "But Joel, you have a problem. You're scared. You get all shakey and freeze. You can't travel 85 miles on the surface!"

Ok, recap, my name is Marie. Seven years ago, the apocalypse started. Not to many peoples surprise, it was man made. So, basically this huge asteroid was flying straight towards earth. So we did what we do best. Blast a bunch of rockets and explosives. What we didn't expect was that the radiation from all of those bombs, sent a bunch of monster-making gloop raining down on us. So all those little creatures became big and deadly. And all the big ones became small and friendly. Of course dogs and cats stayed the same. But long story short, we lost 95% of the population. Yep. So the rest of us hid underground. A few of us were hunters, some of us were cooks. That's me. And my friend Joel. We've been the cooks for seven years. He makes a mean ministrony. I however specialize in baking. Banana bread was my colony's favorite. Anyway, a few weeks ago, Joel got in contact with colony 3022. He found out that his sister is in that colony. I wouldn't say I'm in love with Joel. But when you're the only two single people left in an entire colony, you start asking yourself if you're not in love.

"I'm going with you." I told him. I was a cook, yeah, but I was also a hunter. Kinda... I've been on some hunts. "What?" Tim asked. "He needs help. Come on. You don't really think he could survive it out there alone. And I'm not talking about surviving monsters. I'm talking solitude." Tim laughed. "Shes got a point there Joel." He was just smiling. "Thanks M." I nodded. "I'll go pack, and we're on our way."

I packed my clothes and some food. It was a seven day journey to colony 3022. If we survived. I shuttered thinking of it. I packed some extra food just in case. I knew Joel would stress eat and that would make him run out faster, and potentially kill himself by eating something poisonous.

I grabbed a crossbow and a sword. My usual weapons.
"Ready?" I asked him. "Yeah." He put his backpack on and we headed for the door. "I'm really gonna miss you guys." Joel said as he stood in front of me, giving hugs. "I'll miss y'all too." We exchanged goodbyes and they handed us a map. "We made you guys a map... Hopefully it will help." Karen said. "Thank you. Don't starve without us!" I smiled. "Yeah, and don't die without us." Tim said. Joel gave a nervous laugh. "I'll try." "Come on. Let's go." I prompted. He walked with me, and he exited the hatch for the first time in seven years.

He stepped out and took a deep breath. Twice. Three times. "Smell." Yep... I've been out here before.... So it's nothing new to me. He exhaled. "You good?" "Yeah." "Do you know where we're headed?" I asked him. "West." He pointed to his right and started walking. I stayed put. "No no, west is that way..." He said pointed to my left. He walked in that direction. "Joel." "Yeah?" "West is that way." I pointed in front of me. "Oh?" "Yep." "Right then... Split the difference. G- good first decision." I shook my head slightly. This was going to be a long seven days.

-----
Time skip
-----

Day three of our journey. Joel has almost been killed three times, and that's only by the big monsters. Lucky we ran into this old man and little girl. Well... Joel fell in a hole. Full of monsters. So three times, by more then one creature all at the same time? Anyway, I was screaming trying to think of what to do when the old man and Minnow, she said her name was, threw a rope to him. This was after a dog saved him yesterday from a huge frog thing- Clumber is what Minnow calls it. They're her favorite. I don't know why. The dog's name is Boy. Joel is practically in love with it. I mean it was a cute dog. Minnow, was obsessed with teaching Joel how to shoot a crossbow. I've tried already. Several times, and failed. Somehow she's able to teach him though. She keeps telling him, "a needle through water." Then if he misses, she tells him he's useless. I laugh every time. She reminds me a lot of my little sister. She and my mom got killed before we all went underground. Dad died two weeks after. He was a hunter, but we didn't know anything about the prey- so. I was sixteen when he died. When they all died. But I'm getting off the story... Sorry...

I walk up to Joel after the old man set up camp and we ate. "Lesson number two. You either eat or you sleep..." "Not both, yeah yeah." He groaned, frustrated. "You have to learn to go one night without food Joel otherwise you won't have any energy for the journey." I looked at him like he was some abandoned puppy. "M why did you come with me? You've not stopped watching out for me since we started either. Is something wrong?" He asked. "Um, no nothing's wrong... I'm just trying to look out for you. You're my only real companion. I'd die if you were killed. Also, Joel, just so that were on the same page, if you die I will kill you." I gave him a stern look. "I'm glad someone cares about me." He joked nudging Minnow. She nudged back, a bit harder, and sent him sideways into me. "Oof." I rolled my eyes. "Get up, quick!" The old man said to me but he told Joel to stay. The Clumber was still on our tails. But we were lucky that those are the slowest monster ever. "Joel... Give me your shirt..." Joel was so scared there were tears in his eyes, and he was shaking. "It's ok Joel, just hand him your shirt!" I whisper yelled. "AND REMEMBER WHAT I JUST TOLD YOU." "Don't die... Or you'll kill me... I got it..." He handed his shirt to he old man and he stuck it on the 'log' behind Joel. It was actually giant snail. He would be spreading Joel's sent, I figured.
And I was right.
I always am.

-----
Joel's P.O.V
-----

I don't know what's gotten into Marie anymore. She's been hovering over me like a mother in a mall with all eight of her children. I rolled my eyes just thinking about it. I know I'll never amount up to much to her. But at least she cares. Even if she does think I'm some lost puppy. Boy was. And he's great... Right? Part of me thinks that her telling me that if I die she'll kill me, is supposed to make me braver... And the other half wants to think it's because she cares that much. But I'm not going to ask her or she'll kill me before I die. Yesterday, I almost kissed her. I don't know why. But I did. Almost. This journey has definitely been confusing my feelings and emotions. Minnow keeps telling me that I'm in love with Marie. I don't think so. I mean. She's all I've ever had... But I shouldn't settle. Not that... She'd be settling....
I bumped into a tree.
"Kid, keep your eyes in front of you." "Eyes in front." Minnow repeated. "Yeah Joel, keep your eyes on the road." "OK!!!!"  I shouted. Only to receive three SHUSH! es back. I groaned. My sister and I used to draw a lot together. Right before I met Marie. Then I started going off with her a lot. She was my best friend.... I couldn't love her. Right?

-----
Marie P.O.V
-----

Day five. The old man and Minnow have left us. I'm honestly sad... I hope we can see them again. But right now I have more pressing matters. Joel is about to be eaten again. And so is Boy.

"JOEL!!!" I scream has his head hits the ground. I'm slicing and dicing as much as possible as the giant millipede rises. "JOEL WAKE UP!!!" I can tells he's knocked out.
"Boy! Move!!!" I shouted, not so concerned about him, but still worried all the same. Suddenly, I feel an arm wrap around my waist and hear the sound of a trigger being pulled. He was shaking. "You can do this Joel." I whispered. He shot. The first arrow just making the monster mad. But the second, killing it. Boy ran over to us. "Ok, that time I almost lost you both. Can you please try not to get killed?!" Tears make my vision blurry as I hug Joel. "I'll try... So will Boy. I promise." "I couldn't survive without you-" I choke. Joel pushed the hair out of my face. "You don't have to, were still here." Without any thinking, I leaned in close, and pressed my lips to his. It was a gentle kiss. Soft and sweet. We stop to breath, putting our foreheads together, we smile as Boy lays between us. "I've wanted to do that, for a long time." I say, breathing heavily from all the crying. "Me too." Joel said. "It was... Not what I expected." My heart stopped. "... What do you mean?" "I mean. I saw you as a friend. I expected it to be weird. But it wasn't. It was like ... Home." He looked at me as I smiled. "I like that... Home." I said, mulling it over in my mind."You should sleep tonight." I tell him. "I'll stand watch." "No you'll sit watch." He said. "huh?" "You're going to be my pillow because God only knows how much those rocks hurt my head." He pouted and I laughed. "Alright."

----
Day seven. We've reached the colony. Joel's sister wants to go with some weird captain guy, who brews his own beer... He's also australian and Joel's sister is finding that quite attractive. Joel doesn't like that.
We think it's a trap. But I guess will find out.

(I won't spoil anymore 🤫 the end)