Chapter 21 - The Truth (3/3)

Rushed footsteps. Screeching of stretcher wheels. Muffled voices of people. Faint breaths.

What's happening?

Everything went black again.

***

Her eyes fluttered open. An oxygen mask over her face. Heart monitor beeping. The sound of the IV drip. Her body was worn out and in pain. Her throat awfully dry. Her eyes scanned the room when she spotted Raiden in the corner of the room, sleeping and Jean by her side with her head on the bed.

  Lia shift her body and coughed, waking Jean from her sleep. She sat up and yawned.

"H-Hey, you're awake. I'll get the doctor."

  She stood up and moved to leave the room. Lia looked to her side, seeing a glass of water. She moved to grab the glass when something restricted her hand. Jean stopped dead in her tracks when she heard the metal cling. It woke Raiden up.

  Lia turned to look and found a handcuff wrapped around her wrist. The other end attached on the bed rail. Jean weakly looked at Lia. She gave a questioning look.

  "W-Why am I handcuffed?"

  "W-We tried to stop them..."

  ***

  "Hello Aurelia. I'm Officer Braddell and this is Officer Rodriguez. We're here to just ask you some questions."

  "B-But first, how are you doing?" Officer Rodriguez asked.

  Lia nods, "In a lot of pain. I-I guess it's just the post-fight..."

  "Are you well to answer some questions?"

  "Ok. Can we just start now? We don't have a lot of time here, Rodriguez."

  Lia was half sitting up. She was unable to sit up due to the stabbing point.

  "Can you tell us what happened yesterday at 12:34 pm?" Rodriguez questioned politely.

  "I was resting at the rooftop of my school because of the fever I had... While I was resting, Sandy appeared out of nowhere with a kitchen knife in her hand. She s-started attacking me and I had no other choice but to defend myself. That's how I ended up with all these cuts."

  "So by defending yourself, you pushed her down the building?"

  Rodriguez looked at Braddell with widened eyes.

  "It wasn't on purpose. I didn't mean to push her down—"

  "So you did push her."

  "I-It wasn't on purpose! I tried to save her!"

  She sat up in defence but whimpered in pain, almost forgetting her condition.

  "Woah there, lean back. Calm down," Rodriguez comforted.

  "A week before, you both were involved in a fist fight in school. You ended up beating her and a boy, Leo. You won right?"