Chapter 17 : Hospital

Beep... Beep... Beep

The sound of the heart monitor is the only noise in the quiet, sober first-class room in the hospital. The whole of the Avengers are present, either standing or sitting. Lia is unconscious. The doctor said that she'll be alright although she was hit pretty bad.

Her lips were dry and pale, everyone is worried sick. Tony could barely think straight. Clinton who is always the laid back idiot has been staring at her for minutes whilst sitting in the chair. Bruce is comforting Tony, who has never left Lia for a second. The longest was when she needed to enter the emergency room to get checked out.

Whereas the ones standing outside the room, Natasha and Steve were most likely discussing the possibilities of killing the five guys without being placed in the wrong. Not far from them, Thor is talking to Loki. At least trying to.

"What happened to her?" Loki stares out into space, not listening to whatever Thor questioned. Thor shoves his shoulder and manages to get his attention. Loki glares at Thor but he wasn't bothered by it.

"What happened to her?" Thor asks in an agitated tone.

"She brought me to what she called a Library and left me to take her medications. When that happened, I thought of checking up on her and when I came, I saw five men attacking her. Which I'd clearly indicate that they're cowards for hitting a woman like her."

"A woman like her?" Thor smirks, stating the line in a different tone.

Loki knew what he meant by that sentence. Loki rolls his eyes, untucking his arms. "A mortal. A human, " he whispers.

Thor started grinning, making Loki furrow his brows in confusion. "Brother, as good of a liar as you are, you cannot fool me quite enough. You care for her, don't you?"

"What are you talking about Thor? I am just concerned about what the Avengers would do if they find out I am not who they think I am, " Loki explained, folding his arms again.

"What have you got to be afraid of? Your brother is here, " he smiles, patting Loki's shoulder. "And Lady Lia will be very proud of you. You could've escaped but you didn't which clearly shows that you have grown feelings for."

"Brother, you are being a nuisance. Just because I didn't escape, Thor doesn't mean I have feelings for her. She was getting beaten up and I couldn't just leave her. Knowing about her condition is one and she's friends with the Avengers. You."

"You didn't do that to Sif. The only person that you've shown care and love was to mother. Am I not seeing the same thing?"

"No. Now, will you drop the topic? You are going to attract their attention."

"Alright but don't deny the feelings brother, " he said as his eyes moved up to Loki's hair. "We'll talk about your hair then."

Loki rolls his eyes. Physically, he was talking to Thor and partially listening to his brother tease his blonde coloured hair. Mentally, he was thinking about what Thor had said before. He was denying the truth about his feelings. He admits that he had been showing care and concern towards Lia.

He can choose to not care but something about her was not letting Loki make his own decision. Although till today, he's questioning himself about Lia. What was so difficult that Lia couldn't talk about her past? Her past couldn't be as bad as mine, could it?

The main door to Lia's ward slides open, revealing Tony at the door with Banner trailing behind him. "She's still asleep. You can come in if you want to." Tony said. "Except for him, I want to have a talk with James for a little while."