Chapter 28 - Euphoria

Lia

  First dance. Women in masks came out. Heck, everyone were in masks. I could barely make out anyone. Although I sat with the Avengers, a couple of times I had mistaken another woman for Natasha. Another man for Clint. I was the only one who wasn't wearing a mask which made me nervous. It was my birthday party. It's obvious that I'd get all the attention. People walked past and wished me a happy birthday. All I could do was to return a smile and thank them for the great wishes. I didn't know anyone or it was more like, I couldn't recognise anyone.

  Anyway, the group of women began dancing oh so elegantly before another set of men came in. They pushed to let me have the first dance but I wasn't ready. I've only arrived and had to dance? I would but I wasn't prepared. They respected my wishes and allowed me to watch. I had some desserts and I swear on my life, Tony has the best contacts for amazing desserts. I wasn't able to stop devouring their apple crumble pie. Sometimes I just wish I could have my own personal chef.

  Tony wouldn't mind stop me from getting one. Heck, he would hire one for me, especially ever since the New York incident but the only obstruction was myself.

  I slowed down on the desserts as I cheered for the dancers. I sipped on the sweet cocktail that was made especially for me. Finally, Tony stepped in front of me and asked my hand for the first dance. I smiled and took his hand. We strolled in with posture, to the middle of the room. Another set of music began playing and we gently swayed to the tune. We moved side to side. I took his hand with the other on his shoulder.

"Are you sure you know how to do this, Tony?"

He gasped, lightly offended by my words, "I didn't organise this party just so I could look stupid."

I laughed as he spun me around. The spotlight on the both of us. We danced in the same spot for a while before he spun me to another person. Smelling the masculine cologne on his body and Navy blue tailcoat blazer outlining his thick arms. I looked into his blue eyes and smiled.

  "Hey there, captain."

  "Hey birthday girl," he greeted as he flashed his multi-million dollar smile. "How's your day been?"

  "Not that bad. I had steak for lunch and now, I'm dancing in the middle of the ballroom, organised by my uncle for my birthday."

  "And you're giving this rating a 'not that bad'."

  "I'll give more since I'm dancing with THE Captain America."

  He rolled his eyes and shook his head. He couldn't hide the concern in his eyes. Neither any one of them could. I mean Steve always had the look of concern on his face, as well as Tony , so it was sometimes a normal thing but most of the time, I could tell the differences. Learning psychology has its disadvantages. I didn't want to see that concern. I didn't want to feel the pity they had for me.

"How's your leg?"

"As if that's the first time you ask me but I'll answer it anyway. It's better than ever. I mean you've seen the training and us running. It hasn't caused any problems and it's amazing. It's hard to believe sometimes and at times, I would kick my leg on the wall just to see if I could feel any pain."

He furrowed his brows when realisation hit. "So that's why there's so many bruises on your leg."

"Hasn't there always been bruises?" I questioned, pretending to not understand what he meant while he spun me around.