Chapter 21 - The Truth (2/3)

"I'm not leaving. I have months before graduation."

  "Kid, don't make this harder than it already is. You either come or don't."

  "Then, I'm not. I've made up my mind. If you're gonna leave, leave. I'm not leaving until I graduate."

  "Seems good to me."

  Rhodey elbowed Tony in the stomach with an annoyed face. "Aurel—"

  She slammed the door on them, leaving them stunned. Rhodey turned around to Tony with a disappointed look.

  "You're staying."

  "Hell, I'm not."

  "Yes. You are. She's mourning, Tony. Give her time and what made you think she's going to listen after what you've said at the funeral?"

  "She doesn't want to be taken care of. Besides, she'll be fine."

  "You're her legal guardian now. There's paperwork for it. If you abandon her before she turns 18, you're gonna be in trouble."

  "How old is she?"

  "16."

  ***

  She stood in the mirror and removed her arm sling. She tossed it in the bin and flexed her fingers and arm. The door knob to her room twisted and turned, slowly opened to reveal Jean behind the door. She looked at Lia with her eyes unable to hide away the pity she felt for her best friend.

  It's been three weeks since the accident. Lia has been staying home and was excused from school to recover. For the three weeks, Jean and Raiden stayed close to her. Fed her, cleaned her house, helped her catch up in school. Traveling in the first week was difficult but it disappeared when Raiden earned his driver's license. Tony is nowhere to be found. They assumed he left which made Lia feel a little better.

  It was her first day back to school. She believe it's time. Looking again at Lia, Jean failed to control her hand from pulling out a concealer. The bags under her eyes, her lips as pale as a sheet, the colour drained from her skin. She was a different person in their eyes, as similar as a corpse but she thinks otherwise.

  "Let's put on something okay?" Jean said, forcing a smile.

  Lia shifted her head to Jean with a questioned look, asking for a reason why. Jean stuttered to answer and talk into it with Lia despite her stubborn trait but it came down to surprise Jean when Lia agreed. She moved to make her look alive before leaving for school.

  They arrived in school and stopped in the parking lot. Both their concerned faces looking at Lia before they step out the car. Attention around the lot diverted to the three of them. It bothered the two but it barely touched Lia.

  "Here, put this on." Jean pulled out a wrist brace, causing Lia to frown. Before she could try to convince Jean, she had wrapped it around her hand. "Doctor's orders, Lia. We can't afford to get you hurt. We want you to get back to your original state. Healthy and lively."

  ***

  "It's good to see you again, Lia. I hope you're doing well. Stay strong, alright?" Miss Lara smiled as she strokes Lia's shoulder.

  Lia smiled and left the class with her friends. It felt like three weeks ago when she was in school. Books and papers in her hand, walking out of class, going past the lockers. The only difference were people sending condolences. Many times she had to stop walking as acquaintances of hers encouraged Lia to stay strong and keep going.