Chapter 27 - Surprise!

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Aurelia Stark! Happy birthday to you!"

  They sang in unison as Tony brought out the cake right before her eyes.

"Make a wish," Tony said.

She closed her eyes and blew the fire off the candles. They cheered for her as Tony placed the cake on the table. They were having lunch at the roof top of the restaurant. VIP section. Only the closest were present, except for Thor.

She has finally hit twenty-four which felt like forever. After going through whatever that she did throughout the years, she didn't think she'd make it to twenty-four. Every year on her very birthday, those thoughts will creep up on her.

  "What did you wish for?" Jean asked.

  "Hmm...I don't know. The pressure of making a wish and the candles lighted in front of me couldn't let me think," She chuckled. "But I've got my family here. It's all I could've ever wished for."

  They awed as Tony stroked her back. She allow the waitress to slice the cake into equal pieces and served to each member on the table. They ate the cake and spoke of every unforgettable moment with Lia. Some even let out tears on certain memories but most of it were just filled with laughter.

  "Why didn't we have dinner, instead? Like look at the sun! And we're having lunch at a rooftop," Lia asked.

  Everyone went silent which raised Lia's curiosity. She took a bite of the last piece of her steak and looked at them for an answer. Before she could breathe to ask, Bruce simply replied.

  "Everyone's busy with work. We were afraid that we wouldn't have time to celebrate your birthday."

  Their heads turn to Bruce who sat right at the end on the left side. He looked anxious but that's how he usually looks like. Lia pouted and looked at them.

  "You guys, celebrating my birthday is not important. It's literally just a birthday."

  Many objected her words. Aurelia was important to them. To Tony, without Lia, he would've been as hard as a rock. Steve would've felt lonelier than when he had first woken up. To Natasha and Clint, they would've worked their asses off and served their life as a pair of S.H.I.E.L.D agents. To Banner, he wouldn't have learnt how to have fun without turning green. To Raiden and Jean, they would have just been incomplete. They were meant to be a trio. It was the three of them against the adult world. Against the defenders of Sandy. Against the bullies.

  Aurelia made a huge impact on their lives. She's a family. She's what that made working as a team, simpler.

  They ended their lunch. It would've been longer if there was a gift unwrapping session but none of them had anything prepared They either said they were busy or never knew what to get her but it didn't bother her. Their presence were more than enough.

  She listened and brought her things to the car. Since they were going in different directions, Lia thanked them and drove herself home. She took her time to drive around the busy city. Even if she had rushed, she'd probably be stuck in traffic.

  After parking her car, she strolled her way up to her unit. She kicked off her shoes and walked towards her room. She gently sat on the bed and laid on her soft pillow. She shifted to her side and sighed.

All she wished to do is to lie on her bed and have a peaceful birthday but when honestly, there's only one person that she's looking forward to see. Especially on her special day. She took her phone out and clicked on her gallery.

  Pictures of her and Loki walking hand in hand. Eating tacos together. Sitting side by side on the roller coaster. The most beautiful one. The kiss on the ferris wheel.