A Relaxing Evening Part-1

I spent another forty minutes or so at the lake. At one point I complimented Penny on her swimsuit and she got crazily flustered, Maru and I couldn't help but laugh. Penny was sweet though, she kept her eye on the kids a lot to make sure they were safe and not drowning. Maru ended up pushing Penny into the water and they had a splash battle, it was hilarious.

On my way back to the farm I grabbed a few wild horseradishes and a leek. Once I made it back inside the cabin, I unpacked my bag and put everything away. I hung the wet towel on a rack in the bathroom, deciding I would probably need to wash it later. Everything was put in its usual place so I decided I should start to get ready. For some reason there was a feeling of anxiety in my stomach, I pushed it off as just being nervous. Done with that, I put some food in Arson's bowl for whenever he decided to come eat that night.

After taking a warm shower I noticed Mae had tried calling me. Grabbing the phone, I dialed her number and she answered rather quickly.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked as I placed the phone on my bed, putting her on speaker while I searched for an outfit. "Just wanted to see how the festival went, I hope you know I would have wrecked you in an egg hunt." She added the last comment with a cocky tone. "Hmm it was good, I actually had a ton of fun. There was this carnival cut out where you would put your head in it and it gave you a bunny body. I have a photo of Sam in it actually, I'll send it later." I rambled slightly, but Mae never seemed to mind.

We talked while I changed into a loose band shirt and jean shorts. At one point I brought up Abigail, curious about her after the situation at the lake. I didn't mention what happened at the lake to her though, not yet.

Mae explained that she and Abigail hadn't talked that much in a while, her texts got dry so Mae stopped putting in a bunch of effort. Apparently Abigail would never text first, Mae had to always start the conversation. "Sorry to hear that Mae, it's her loss anyways." I comforted my friend, but she quickly changed the subject. "Anyways- Enough about me. Where ya off to?" she asked, somehow noticing that I was getting ready to go out.

"Oh well Sam was telling me that I work hard or something and need a break. Then I told him it's hard to relax at home with so much to do, so he invited me over for pizza and to chill out and-"

"Woah calm down there, no need to rush it all out at once." Mae interrupted, allowing me to catch my breath after I quickly explained to her.

"You and Sam hanging out at his house? Alone?" I could just hear the smirk coming from the other side of the phone. "No dumb ass... His family is home I'm sure. His kid brother Vincent." I rolled my eyes, any mention of a boy hanging out with me always made her tease me like this. "But if his family wasn't home?" I could hear her smirk widen as she spoke.

"Stop it you weirdo,- anyways I'm just about done getting ready. Actually- I put my hair in that half up hairstyle you sent me earlier." I fixed my bangs slightly before collecting all the stuff I thought I might need. I brought a small-ish blanket in case we watched a movie and it got cold, along with some movie options and those jelly pack things. With my bag packed, I grabbed my phone and left the house.

Mae teased me a bit more as I walked to Sam's house, the last thing she said being 'Finally you're getting some action' before I hung up on her.

I checked my phone for the time to make sure I wasn't super early or anything, once I knew I wasn't I knocked twice on the door. I heard some muffled voices inside and then the door opened a crack. There was the familiar blue-green eye peeking out from the crack of the door. "Something wrong?" I asked with a laugh as I heard the muffled noises of people moving around behind the door.

"Noppppe everything is fine, just give me a minute, sorry." He quickly rushed his words before shutting the door. As I waited I looked down and kicked a few pebbles near my feet. Being an idiot, I kicked a sharp rock and since I wore flip flops my foot got cut. It was deep enough to draw a tiny bit of blood, but I just wiped it away and made a mental note to not put pressure on that part of my foot.

There was a loud and hard sounding thump from the side of his house, accompanied by a groan. Soon after there was a slightly lighter thump, but it came with two groans. "Wh-" I questioned, about to walk to the side of his house and see what the commotion was. Before I took even one step, Sam opened the door fully this time. He was clearly out of breath, but I didn't really question it. "Sure everything is okay?" I asked again. "No no no, everything is fine. Um perfect actually since you're here-" He mumbled slightly and was clearly trying to hide his face. "Oh well thank you." I took what he said as a sort of compliment. "Where can I put this?" I asked as I motioned to the bag I was carrying.

"Uh let me take it!" he quickly said, forcefully grabbing it. I queried his strange behavior. "Alright then..." I replied as I followed him to his room. He placed my bag on top of his dresser and then stood there awkwardly.

"I don't mean to sound rude Sam, but you are acting pretty weird. Your face is kind of pink, maybe you're sick?" I thought that could be the only explanation for this out of character behavior. "Here- let me see if you've got a fever." I added before reaching my hand up to touch his forehead. "Holy crap your face feels really warm."

At this point I got concerned. He stood there quietly for a moment, seemingly composing himself. The heat in his face seemed to lower so I brought my hand down. The redness in his cheeks dissipated mostly too. Sam took a few deep breaths before looking down at me.

"Sorry about all that... I let some of the comments Seb and Abigail made get to my head. I'm good now though, tonight is supposed to be about you relaxing, so enough about me." He gave me his usual smile, seeming to ask me to believe him. "Well if you say so." I replied.

"The pizza should be ready soon, so I can go get it. You can uh... just chill on the couch if you need anything Vincent's-"

"Can I come too?" I asked, in all honesty I felt bad that Sam was doing all this for me. I could at least keep him company while he gets the pizza. "You sure? But-"

"I'm sure, don't worry."

It took a bit of reassuring, but eventually we both made our way towards the Saloon. "Did you hear those two thumps earlier? They sounded kinda like they came from near your window?" I questioned. "Woah, that's crazy... No clue though." He chuckled nervously and it was clear he knew what the sounds were. Instead of questioning him about that more, I changed the subject.

"Did you have fun at the festival?" I asked, noticing the vine covered Saloon was getting close. "Yes, of course. I was so excited to see that you actually came and then our egg competition was really fun." Sam had a dorky smile on his face as he gushed about how much fun he had. Seeing him happy like that stirred a strange feeling in my stomach, but it dissipated once we entered the bustling Saloon atmosphere. Since it was Saturday after all, the place was booming. It seemed like everyone and their moms were there.

When we walked up to the counter I got a glimpse at the little side room of the Saloon, giving me flashbacks to my first interaction with Sam. A soft smile formed on my face at the memory. I couldn't wait until we could all hangout there again, including Mae.

"Rose?" Sam waved a hand in front of my face and I realized I had gotten lost in thought. "My bad-" as I apologized and followed Sam out, I saw a few people stare at us while we left. A few groups of women whispered to themselves about who knows what.

He carried the pizza boxes all the way back to the house, even though I offered multiple times that I could. When we got back he put the two pizza boxes onto a small table to the left of the front door. "Alright, what should we do first?" He asked, wanting to let me decide tonight's events. "Hmmm we should watch some of those crappy old scary slasher films, or wait! We should watch Coraline!" I rocked on my heels a bit from excitement and Vincent must have heard me because he came out of his room and into the living room. "Hey bud." I gave the boy a wave before directing my attention back to Sam.

"Oh, well I don't think I have seen Coraline before. Abigail mentioned it before though, something about buttons?" he shrugged before heading over to their tv. "Vince, grab some slices of pizza on the table over there. He motioned at the boxes on the table. "Wash your hands and use a plate." He added.