Errands With A Friend

The sun shined softly on my face, pulling me out of my deep sleep. When my eyes opened slowly I noticed Mae looking through the fridge. Sitting up slowly so as to not worsen my throbbing migraine, I spoke up, "Mae? Oh right, I forgot you came to visit. My head's a little fuzzy." I mumbled as I used both hands to rub the sides of my head, easing the pain for a moment.

The woman tossed a water bottle at me as she continued working on something in the kitchen, luckily nothing was burning. Yet.

"I wonder why you feel like shit. Hm, maybe it's because you drank like a drunkard last night." She couldn't help but laugh as she spoke.

"I feel like I'm forgetting something about last night... I remember going to the saloon and then waking up here. Oh god how much did you let me drink?" I groaned with pain, it had been a while since I had gotten black out drunk. Probably in highschool was the last time, though underage drinking isn't something to brag about.

"Last night... Um. Yea nothing eventful happened, don't worry about it!" she laughed off the confused look I gave her.

Taking a few chugs from the bottle, I made my way over to the kitchen. My first few steps were a bit wobbly, but I caught myself on the counter.

"Are you making breakfast? I don't smell anything-" When I peered over her shoulder at the stovetop I realized there was nothing there. She just had her back to me while she was on her phone. "Nope, I thought I should take you out for breakfast. We have to go do laundry and get groceries, so why not?" She smiled happily as she turned to me.

"Oh okay... Should I get ready then? I assume we are taking your car- also can you drive since I y'know." I motioned to my head, conveying that I was in pain. "Mhm, of course. Take as long as you need, but also hurry up because I'm starving."

"Yes ma'am."

After about 20 minutes I was done getting ready. I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and a shirt Mae let me borrow. All of my other clothes were dirty by this point.

With my hair still soaking wet from the shower, Mae and I loaded the bins of dirty clothes into the car. Along with detergent and such.

"Jeez, your car still smells the same. I can't even place the smell, all I can say is that it gives me 'school library' nostalgia." I commented as I buckled myself in the passenger seat. There were a few bottles of water at my feet that I brought, I chugged a whole bottle as Mae began driving.

Her car barely fit through the fence posts and I assumed they weren't built with the idea of a car in mind. "If your shit gets scratched I'll laugh."

"You wouldn't be able to tell either way, this rust bucket has seen better days." She faked a pout. It was true though, this car had been through a lot.

We drove through the countryside, making our way to the closest town. It was a small town that bridged the gap between Zuzu city and Pelican Town. Almost a mix of both.

Mae pulled up to a small diner and we both hopped out of the car. "I can smell the food from here, god I'm starving." She sighed as we made our way up to the entrance. Like always, she held the door open and waited for me to walk in first. Very kind of her.

The place was pretty much empty other than us and the employee behind the counter. Mae and I found a small table for the two of us in the corner. After we got ourselves settled, the lady came and asked for our drinks. I ordered chocolate milk while Mae ordered orange juice.

Since we were the only ones there, the drinks were brought over rather quickly and she was waiting to take our orders.

"Hm I'll get the bacon and cheese omelet, extra potatoes please." As Mae spoke, the woman wrote down on her notepad quickly. "Toast?" the waitress asked, getting a nod from Mae, "Sourdough with jam please."