Found Family

"God these weeds are so- AUGHH!" Mae yelled as she braced both heels into the dirt and pulled. A deep rooted weed flung out as she fell back.

"That's why I offered you the shovel..." I laughed as I pointed towards the small garden shovel beside the wooden steps. Mae rolled her eyes before tossing the weed into the large pile we had created.

After doing our usual farm routine we decided to pull some of the weeds that began sprouting by my house and creeping towards the crops.

"These are going to make such good compost!" I grinned as I clapped my hands happily.

Never before during my tech job would I think in the future  I'd be so thrilled over compost.

Fall was creeping up and I began forming vague ideas for what crops we would grow for the season. Thankfully all my corn crops would survive the season change.

"Ooo can we grow a bunch of pumpkins? I want to carve a bunch and put them around the farm- ooo can we hang out with Sam, Penny, and Sebastian. Carve a bunch of spooky pumpkins for the house?" She gripped the weed she had just pulled tightly as she stared at me with excitement.

"Mhm, of course. That sounds like fun!" I smiled back before taking some of the weeds and loading them into the composter.

My smile dropped slightly as I thought of Abby. She was probably the type to also love the spooky season coming up. Her and Sebastian had probably carved pumpkins together every year.

I ruined her friendships.

The guilty thoughts started their usual routine. Whenever something reminded me of Abby I was also reminded of the fact that I had wrecked her entire life.

She probably hates me even more.

I took a deep breath to try and clear my mind before throwing more weeds into the bin.

"Babe we still have a week until fall even starts. Why do I see your Halloween decorations box?" Mae laughed as she peeled off her gardening gloves, tossing them on the floor by her shoes.

"Hm? Oh- I'm just preparing y'know. Gotta be ready for spooky season!" I said with a grin.

"I heard from Penny that for Halloween the town does a whole festival and there's this scary maze." Mae explained as she washed her hands in my small kitchen sink.

"Aw, that sounds like a blast. I'm kind of excited. We have to binge old slashers leading up to Halloween please." I clasped my hands together in a pleading way.

"Hmm maybe. We could make those weird seasonal packaged cookies too. For old times sake." She smiled softly as she seemed to reminisce.

"Those are so fucking good for no reason. I ate like twenty last time."

"Yea. I know. You hogged all of them after I slaved away for hours to bake them for you."

"Wh- you- they probably take max fifteen minutes to bake in the oven."

"I spent days crafting the recipe just for you to-" she clasped her heart dramatically as she pretended to sob into my shoulder.

"Mhm, let it all out." I jokingly patted her on the back and she made her sobbing even more aggressive. Adding in a disgusting sounding sniffle here and there.

"Oh by the way do you have any plans this weekend?" Mae asked before shoving a forkful of adobo in her mouth.

"This weekend? Uh no I don't think so. It's only Monday so I haven't really thought about it too much." I shrugged in response before eating my own adobo.